Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

My opinion of induction :)

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hi there, I'm going to give you my opinion on being induced. I am 38 wks pregnant with my third child, I've been induced with my first two and will be induced next Friday with my third. My experiences have be wonderful!!! My labor with both children didn't last much more than 4-5 hours, everything went smooth and no problems or complications with the babies. To each thier own, whatever you feel comfortable with, it's your body don't let anyone or any doctor tell you want to do :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

That's nice it went well for you!  Why did you want to be induced?
Not all of us want to-  it is hard on us and our babies, very risky.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

*hug* I agree 100%. As long mom is making an informed choice and is aware of the risks of each procedure involved and is comfortable with those risks, then it's great is excerising her right to informed consent! : ) 

brittany208
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I'm glad it went well for you. I, too, was induced with my last pregnancy. But even though it can, and often does, go well--I think waaay too many drs push it and way too many moms don't realize all the extra risks it brings. Not saying it makes bad things happen, but it DOES make bad things more likely to happen. and i dont think a lot of women realize that.

i was induced because dr said he was worried the baby was getting too big... and i was already dilated and he didn't want my labor to be too fast when it happened.... i think he was just getting impatient. Baby was very healthy and everything was fine, but this time I'm going to hold out longer.

I like how someone said: your due date is NOT an expiration date. If its just a guess, and you are good to go into labor two weeks before or two weeks after... why was my dr stressing out at only one week past due date? this time, I'm going to wait.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

That's nice for you- you were lucky! As long as mothers consider all of the risks and are educated on the consequences of all options they can make an informed decision. Informed Consent is key. 

(Though my personal opinion, since you shared yours.. I don't understand why any woman would ever want to go through something unnatural/risky if it wasn't necessary. Different strokes for different folks!)

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

I will state my opinion. I agree with you. I would not feel comfortable or safe with a provider who used a drug against the maker's instructions and very specific warnings in the package insert. Pitocin is NOT supposed to be used for elective inductions! If they could do something so unsafe, in this way, what other safety procedures are they skipping or ignoring or disregarding?! Again, that is just my opinion, based on years of experience and research. I do wish you and LO the very, very best, OP!

http://www.jhppharma.com/products/PI/June-11-2008/Pitocin-Full-Prescribing-Information.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Elective induction of labor is defined as the initiation of labor in a pregnant individual who has no 

medical indications for induction. Since the available data are inadequate to evaluate the benefits-to-risks considerations, Pitocin is not indicated for elective induction of labor.

Quoting Pandapanda:

That's nice for you- you were lucky! As long as mothers consider all of the risks and are educated on the consequences of all options they can make an informed decision. Informed Consent is key. 

(Though my personal opinion, since you shared yours.. I don't understand why any woman would ever want to go through something unnatural/risky if it wasn't necessary. Different strokes for different folks!)

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

This, I just didn't want the added risk to my children. But I think its wonderful you were so lucky and things went so well. Pray the third one is the same way!!

Quoting doulala:

That's nice it went well for you!  Why did you want to be induced?
Not all of us want to-  it is hard on us and our babies, very risky.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Good for you. My induction was horrible and very unwanted. 

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM
I respect your view but realise your lucky. Not everyome.or. every time u gey induced get that lucky. Its a fact its harder on the baby at fhe very least, i wouldnt electively do anything to stress my baby in or outside the womb.
amy31308
by Ashlee on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I've had two wonderful experiences as well.

My last was 3 hours start to finish and I had the epidural before the induction started so I didn't feel any pain and loved it lol

Id love to experience naturally going into labor but I get pih so I'm fine with my inductions.
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Opinions unfortunately aren't facts and induction puts both mom and baby at risks they don't need to be put at for no reason at all.

So whatever you feel is okay, but just because things go smoothly for some people or previously doesn't mean they always will and facts show that it's not healthy. I think it's stupid to risk your baby's health because you can't wait to go into labor on your own. It's sad and one of the main reasons why America is one of the worst places to give birth if you want a healthy mom and baby after.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)