Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pelvic exams

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
Last night I had a miscarriage scare so I rushed to the er to see what was going on. That was the first time I had ever had a pelvic exam it was very uncomfortable and did hurt a bit .. It was blood on the end of it.. I'm not sure if that was normal or not... But my question is everytime you go to see your ob do they always do a pelvic exam?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Thats normal, and you can always say no. How old are you?
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

No, they won't always do a pelvic exam. Usually they do one at the beginning of the pregnancy to do a pap smear and if they have to do a transvaginal ultrasound. Then they stop doing them until the last few weeks of pregnancy or if you have problems with contractions. It is also normal to bleed a little bit after a pelvic exam. And you can always refuse them if you feel they aren't really needed.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

hugs!!

No--  No cervix checking in my (normal-healthy) pregnancies.    It is important to avoid unnecessary risks.
If you are well and things are fine then no one needs to go down there or look at all, ever.    ;-)
If you aren't able to keep your perineum intact (help is available with this though) and find you do tear and choose stitches then someone else will need to look downstairs.  ;-)

GL to you my dear-  sorry to hear things were rough going!!

BabyDadrien
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:17 AM
19 I just want to make sure that everything us ok without always being probed and proded

Quoting Larsbug:

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM

You get to choose what you want, IF you want it.
And you can ask what the risks-benefits are, your alternatives, how long you have to decide, etc, as well.
In general, cervix checking can be one of the risksiest "common" things women do in their pregnancies.    Worth avoiding-

GL!

Quoting BabyDadrien:

I just want to make sure that everything us ok without always being probed and proded

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I forget they dont have you do annuals until 21 now... lucky

Quoting BabyDadrien:

19 I just want to make sure that everything us ok without always being probed and proded

Quoting Larsbug:

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM
You can always refuse any procedure you are not comfortable with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
neva_eva_always
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I'd go through a pelvic exam if I was pregnant because they do a pap smear and it can catch anything that might be wrong.

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM

NO!!! Never had one during pregnancy and they should NOT do one of you are having a miscarrige! OMG!

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM

it might be "normal" but its absolutely no necessary!

You can go through an entire pregnancy without a single cervical / pelvic exam! You can even delivery your baby without one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)