Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are my choices of pain relief?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 19 Replies
With my DS I got a spinal epidural. I only got that thing bc I was in so much pain I didn't care lol I want to try like pain pills or something ...mabe even go naturally. I got to 8 cen with my DS. Is the less birth less painful bc id it is, I could def do it naturally
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM

8 cm is when you hit transition, it is the hardest part of birth, and usually when women are begging for pain relief.  It is also the shortest part of labor.  Transition is when the majority of women are saying they can't do it.  Then they do.  I've done that with all of mine, I'm on on my 5th and I'm sure I'll hit that point again.

I've never had an epidural.  I deliver at home now, so there is no medical pain relief options for me.  I just try and move when my body says and stay off my back.   

mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM
there is iv pain meds it take the edge off....when i was at the point i felt like i couldnt go on i got the iv med....it put me to sleep and both time when i woke it was time to push.....I have 3 kids didnt get any other pain med but the iv...i believe it was phentenol (sp).....mind over matter try focusing on 1 thing in the room when the pain gets bad and when you feel like you cant go on just remember that the pain you are feeling is a good thing......And for me (i dont know if its like this for everyone but) the only part of labor that hurt was the contractions.....when it was time to push for me pushing felt good didnt hurt at all I even tore with one and didnt feel it.....With my first though the dr did numb me down there with something and that was great ....But my other two i didnt get numb.....My longest labor was my second 16hours I had pitocin and at one point didnt care if I died the pain was so bad but I did not want a epi....I also read that when a women gets a epi it blocks the natrual pain relief a mother releases and that doesnt get to your baby and birth causes them more pain then if you would go natural....So are bodies do make a "pain blocker"....When the pain gets unbearable change postioions have someone rub your back find your pressure points....when the pain was bad for me i would moan really loud....the nurses kept telling me to be quiet but i didnt listen it helpt me with the pain...so oh well i prob freaked out a few mother to be maybe the walls should be sound proffed lol........Good luck mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I say go without. Start reading books like, "Birthing From Within", "The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth", and "Homebirth In The Hospital". 

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Water has been the best for me. It was amazing! I plan on laboring in the water again with this baby.
KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I agree water helped me so much. Sitting in the shower was heaven for me

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Water has been the best for me. It was amazing! I plan on laboring in the water again with this baby.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My second birth was shorter, because I had more support. If you want the best pain relief I recommend: hiring a doula (they also reduce your risk of a c-section and other difficult outcomes!), laboring in water (be it a shower or a tub), educate yourself on all aspects of how the body works and the various stages of labor and not inducing unless you have a medical need AND if you do induce, keep mobile and speak up and know your rights. 

DONA.org is a great place to find doulas! : ) 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, when you hit an eight, that means you are in active, heavy labor. It is called transition! It lasts for a very, very short time because baby is about to come! If you hire a doula, they will help you know when you have hit transition and will be able to help you push through it! : ) 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

The other options besides a spinal are epidural and IV pain meds. 

The second labor is often a little bit shorter, but not neccesarily less painful. There are a lot of natural ways to cope with the pain, I find that keeping moving and changing positions often helps. Focusing on breathing is really important. Laboring in the tub or shower helps a lot too.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM
This exactly. With each of my deliveries i got to a point i couldnt do it. Which was always my sign that the end was near which for me gave me that burst to finish. My home births were great. Everyone knew that i cant do it didnt mean rush me somewhere to get meds. It meant the end was near. Where as at the hospital when i got to that point my nurse set me up for an epidural even though i told her from the get go i was not to have the epi. I was so annoyed. Only home births with the pain for me

Quoting JadeTigr7:

8 cm is when you hit transition, it is the hardest part of birth, and usually when women are begging for pain relief.  It is also the shortest part of labor.  Transition is when the majority of women are saying they can't do it.  Then they do.  I've done that with all of mine, I'm on on my 5th and I'm sure I'll hit that point again.

I've never had an epidural.  I deliver at home now, so there is no medical pain relief options for me.  I just try and move when my body says and stay off my back.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stargaze281
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Hi. I am definitely not getting an epidural if i get preg. again. I will have to try somethinh else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured