Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about breast feeding

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:39 PM
  • 4 Replies
  I am expecting my first baby in july i am going on 29 weeks and i have been reading a booklet that my doctor gave me when i started going at 5 months.  Starting at 6 months (according to the booklet) i should have started feeling my breasts filling up or getting denser and i just read the week 28 and it says that by now i am probably experiancing leakage, so much so that i might have to put inserts into my bras etc.etc. I have really not experianced anything of the sort and i do not feel that my breasts have changed at all except for a few veins that have become very noticable.  i desperately want to breast feed and i just wanted to know if any one else was experiancing or has experienced this during their pregnancy.  i have allready left a message for a nurse and am waiting for their response but decided it would make me feel better if i knew there were other moms to be out there who went through or might know what is going on, if anything.

kayli
by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Lsmom
by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:04 PM
The book that you are reading, remember is just that....a book.  Many many times what books say is not the norm, or if it is the norm, it is not what happens to EVERYONE.  I didnt really have a huge difference in my breasts while I was pregnant.  They stayed about the same size, etc. I did get more veins, like you say you have, but other than that not a huge difference.  I was able to occasionally see colostrum if I squeezed my nipple....but not until like 8 months or so.....but even if you never can, that is not a cause for concern.  If your breasts dont get fuller, leak colostrum, ect. while pregnant, it is not a predictor of if you will be able to breastfeed.....so do not worry.  Like I said, I didnt have any of those symptoms, and I breastfed my DD and still am....she is 15 months old.  Good luck, and do not worry.  Start brestfeeding early, right after yours is born if you can, and dont use pacifiers or bottles for awhile, and breastfeed on demand, and you will be successful.....if you do have trouble, contact LeLeche league or some other breastfeeding support group to help you.  Good luck and congrats!!
Lsmom
by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM
Oh, one other thing.....know that breastfeeding is trying at times.  It takes A LOT of time and commitment in the beginning stages.  You may be breastfeeding for what seems like 24-7 for the first few weeks or so.....that is all completely normal.  Just try to enjoy the time with your little one, because it flies, and before you know it he/she will not be a little baby anymore!! If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed by it all, just remember that after a few weeks of breastfeeing, once it is established well, you can pump bottles, etc. and let someone else feed the baby to give you a break.  For those first few weeks, just stick with it and dont stress, it is sooooo worth it!!
telecomgirl
by on May. 4, 2007 at 5:48 PM
I never noticed any leakage at all, not even after the baby's birth.

Then my son latched on after birth and started sucking and sure enough, I could hear him swallowing - I was amazed - I thought I didn't have any in me!

We're all equipped to breastfeed. Even if it doesn't seem like our breasts are preparing themselves, they're more than ready come birth.

Good luck with the breastfeeding! You'll find it the most rewarding experience ever! :)

~Rachel

mbmomof3
by on May. 4, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Like the prior posters said, it is a book.  Just like we won't have every symptom listed in the "what to expect when you're expecting" book, not everyone will experience the same things...

that being said, I am on my 3rd pregnancy and I have never experienced this.  I breastfed my first dd for 1 year, my second for 14 months and i plan to bf this baby too.  I also never noticed any changes in size/density until the 7th or 8th month of any of my pregnancies, so that varies too.

Rest assured, everything is fine, good question tho!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)