Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

7lbs 10oz "too big" huh doc?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does it drive you crazy when someone close to you is forced into a birth with all kinds of unnecessary medical interventions that carry higher risks for them and/or the baby?

My cousins doctor was telling her at 20 weeks that her baby would be "too big" and she would probably need a c-section.  It's been only one week past her EDD and they scheduled her induction today.  Well go figure, she went into labor ON HER OWN and was fully dilated...

Then after all that go figure again, her doctor already had his mind made up that her baby was "too big" and she underwent a very unwanted and scary c-section.  Her baby was 7lbs 10oz.  Not big enough for a c-section if you ask me.  It really kills me how many women just listen to these horrible doctors that are only after their own convenience.  I tried to warn her time and time again but she wouldn't really listen.  I don't know why people are so uneducated on this subject, it blows my mind and I really hate to see it happen to a family member.  Luckily mom and baby are doing just fine, which in the end is all that matters but it still just makes me so sad!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lhiannan
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I think in the case where the doc is telling you that the baby is too big, it's a scare tactic, but it is a very effective one.  You plan on your doctor to know what is medically necessary, and I think a lot of women would be scared to argue the point in case the doctor WAS right and something happened to the baby because they refused to listen to medical recommendations.

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I know what you mean. I have 3 sisters and 2 SILs that also have children. Of the six of us, only 2 of us have had vaginal births. And those were VBA2Cs after we wised up and learned to say "NO, we're doing this MY way."
The first 10 babies between us were all c-section. If the local doctors had their way, all of our children would be, SIL and I had to drive 2 hours for our OB appointments and births.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

WOW!  That is crazy and scary!  People don't realize that a c-section is major abdominal surgery but it's so common that no one even see's it that way anymore.  They see it as no big thing, or if they do see it as a big deal they still give in to their doctors scare tactics!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

I know what you mean. I have 3 sisters and 2 SILs that also have children. Of the six of us, only 2 of us have had vaginal births. And those were VBA2Cs after we wised up and learned to say "NO, we're doing this MY way."
The first 10 babies between us were all c-section. If the local doctors had their way, all of our children would be, SIL and I had to drive 2 hours for our OB appointments and births.

wedding countdown

mrsniebo
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be annoyed if that happened to me, but would have wanted another opinion before undergoing surgery. I was under the impression that an average sized baby was 7 lb 8 oz and an extra 3 oz shouldn't be reason for a c-section. I'm glad she and the baby are doing well.

alexislovesjr
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My SIL was just told the same thing yesterday. She is 28 weeks and the doc said the baby is already to big and may end up needing c-section a few weeks before due date. She does eat fast food 3 times a day though so she has to start watching what she is eating. 

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM
It happened to me. I had an induction at 39 weeks BC dd was "too big". She was born via emergency c-section at 7lbs 14oz.
MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you!  How did it make you feel?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

It happened to me. I had an induction at 39 weeks BC dd was "too big". She was born via emergency c-section at 7lbs 14oz.

wedding countdown

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Ugh that stinks :(

Many people don't realize they have the right to deny any unwanted procedures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Yeah but the doctors scare them and tell them they "can't" do it and these women just listen because they didn't take the time to research before hand :( it's sad

Quoting kmqw229:

Ugh that stinks :(

Many people don't realize they have the right to deny any unwanted procedures.

wedding countdown

finnbar
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Holy crap! That's awful. What part of the country do you live in?

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN