Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Book Picks

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

Bookworm is a name I've been called since I was about eight years old. So you can bet my first pregnancy is opening up a whole new interesting genre of literature for me!

On Sunday, I was in Half-price Bookstore for about 20 minutes, and I came out with 6 new books to help me learn about this transition. However, they were just the titles that caught my eye.

I'm wondering if there are any books on pregnancy/preparation that have really spoken to you during your baby's "in-time" that you would be willing to pass on! 

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this

You HAVE to (before you read ANYTHING ELSE!) read Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She uses reputable studies to help you determine which procedures you may or may not feel comfortable using during birth! A really incredible book! It completely changed how I view birth! After than, then load up on anything by Ina May Gaskin. : ) 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this

None of those are really good books, in my opinion. 

I love books like:

Homebirth In The Hospital

Birthing From Within

The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth

Spiritual Midwifery

So That's What They're For!

ame0608
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Mostly the books I found are just fun. Half-Price Books is like a thrift store. Even now and again I find some hidden treasure I could use for my thesis, but mostly, it's where I go to find good trashy reading. I will say that _Deliver This_ has turned out to be a pretty good introduction to the different kinds of childbirth available. Marissa Cohen does a lot of interviews with women who've gone through each one, so for a newby like me, that's really interesting. 

Very happy to have a list of recommendations, though. So helpful! Thank you :)

ame0608
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel like I've heard to read Ida May Gaskins! Thanks for these two options to add to the list! :)

Bailee2b
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy was really funny. I also liked Belly Laughs :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeh81489
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

What to Expect When Expecting is a really good book filled with lots of info

expecting baby

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pacificamom
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Quoting jeh81489:

What to Expect When Expecting is a really good book filled with lots of info

expecting baby

CafeMom Tickers
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Spiritual Midwifery, also by Ina May Gaskin. I just read Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent and really enjoyed it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured