Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone have this embarassing issue...

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 69 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ok so Im just going to come out and say it.... My hemorrhoids from my first baby have begun to get bigger. They dont really irritate me, just bug me because I know they are there and look huge!!

Im 30 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and the farther along Ive gotten the bigger the hemorrhoids seem to be getting too. Im worrid at delivery how big they might be and if I'll like make one burst or something.

Does anyone have any ideas/tips on how to shrink them or make them go away? I read something somewhere about a potato can help but just seems odd to have a potato squeezed between my butt cheeks, but I think Im willing to try anything if it'll help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM
7 moms liked this

Yes a potato, I used a brown one. You don't have to have it there all day. You can either grate it or cut about a 1/4" and place it on there for 15-20 mins as needed. With mine it hurt so bad that I also like mine in the fridge to get a bit of coolness too.

With my third I had the worst one ever. I was in pain for two days and finally when I called my midwife and told her all the other stuff I used. She told me to do this. Within two hours the pain was going away and in a week it was gone.

Whenever I felt one coming on. I do this and they have never got bad at all. I don't even notice them the next day anymore.

KAmomma1113
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh thank u so much!! Im glad to hear someone else has tried it and it worked. Gives me hope! :)

Quoting Raeann11:

Yes a potato, I used a brown one. You don't have to have it there all day. You can either grate it or cut about a 1/4" and place it on there for 15-20 mins as needed. With mine it hurt so bad that I also like mine in the fridge to get a bit of coolness too.

With my third I had the worst one ever. I was in pain for two days and finally when I called my midwife and told her all the other stuff I used. She told me to do this. Within two hours the pain was going away and in a week it was gone.

Whenever I felt one coming on. I do this and they have never got bad at all. I don't even notice them the next day anymore.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I've never heard of using a potato for hemmoroid relief - very interesting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you tried Tucks pads or Preparation H?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KAmomma1113
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM
No. I thought those were only for relief from them. Mine dont hurt, I just know they are there :(

Quoting kmqw229:

Have you tried Tucks pads or Preparation H?

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM
4 moms liked this

Yeah, I get them bad every pregnancy. You aren't alone. 

Witch hazel helps! 

MichaelsMom0711
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Oh god, I am so sorry . that sounds terrible. I didnt get them with my first and luckily havent so far with my 2nd and I'm 19 weeks but arent there alot of over the counter meds/creams for them that are supposed to give quick relief? If its really bad I would call your Dr. though

pacificamom
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

yes! warm baths, warm showers with water directly on them, prep H and up your water intake so stools won't be as dry

KAmomma1113
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Oooh I forgot that a warm bath probably would help. Maybe thats why they never bothered me before... guess I'll have to start relaxing in the tub again! :) lol. Sadly I cant up my water intake anymore.. I drink 4-6 bottles as it is and have to be careful with that because all I do is pee! I went 3 full times in a 45 min period last nite. Sorry tmi :) but am doing stool softeners since my doc wants me to take iron pills along with my prenatal. Thinking about it, i think thats when these buggers started growing..... but thanks for the bath idea!

Quoting pacificamom:

yes! warm baths, warm showers with water directly on them, prep H and up your water intake so stools won't be as dry

taurusmom88
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I'm dealing with them for the past month or so. They are kinda hurting and starting to get bigger, but are mostly annoying. I will try the potato thing. I never heard of this before. Let's hope it helps. If not I'm asking for medication. I'm close to labor so I don't want them to get worse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)