Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pregnant and a migraine

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 13 Replies
I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have suffered from horrible migraines my entire pregnancy. Some migraines last a short while but others (like today's) have lasted for days.

I'm on day # 4. I've tried to avoid taking Tylenol as much I want to and have tried other methods but nothing is working, not even the Tylenol.

My doctor says headaches are completely normal in pregnancy (mind you I had like 2-4 at the most throughout my pregnancies with both my DDs) and not to worry. To continue drinking the Tylenol when it gets unbearable but nothing really useful.

Do you ladies know of anything that can help? Although the pain is horrible, I can still function and do my every day things but the constant throbbing is definitely a distraction.

Please help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM

have you asked your doctor about anything to help you with it? The only thing that really helps me when I have a migraine is ibuprofen (which you can't take), and laying in a dark room with a cool cloth on my head. Have you tried drinking a soda? Caffeine helps with migraines too.

Tishx3
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM
My dr keeps insisting on Tylenol I've even tried the Tylenol extra strength and sipping on some Pepsi but nothing. I've used the at home remedies from my grandma and MIL but nothing seems to work I'm ready to pull my hair out :(
lillucky8
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Ice pack on the back of the neck helps kine sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Or a scalp massage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ricey
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Lay in a dark room.  You want to put a pillow with a heating pad on top of it under your knees.  Put an ice pack behind your neck, and a cool cloth over your eyes.  I usually lay like this for 20-30 min and it helps my migraines a lot!!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Ouch! I know there are women on here who have taken migrain meds while pregnant. I hope you figure something out. 

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM
My midwife as me take excederin migraine but she said i have to stop at 32 weeks =(
Tishx3
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Really? Did your dr say why you can't take it after 32 weeks??

Quoting KristinCarr:

My midwife as me take excederin migraine but she said i have to stop at 32 weeks =(

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Chiropractor, massage, ice pack on forehead(helps a bit till I can get an adjustment). It can be from the pregnancy and it can also be something you are eating or drinking. My chiropractor was the first one to recommend a food/drink log and write down when I have a headache or migraine. I found out caffeine gives me one.

I hope you find something that helps.

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM
She didnt say but ive read because it can cause your amniotic fluid.to.get low, and cause narrowing to lood vessels to.the.heart I THINK i. Not sure i remember correctly. My migraines get so bad if i was 32 or 33 weeks i would think one time wont hurt. But thats just me. I just cant see your body being like " oh your 32 weeks so from this day.on it will hurt the baby"

Quoting Tishx3:

Really? Did your dr say why you can't take it after 32 weeks??

Quoting KristinCarr:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN