Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone ever have a FACE UP baby?

Anyone ever had a face up baby. Or sunny side up as they call it. How did it affect your labor & pushing? I'm only 36 weeks so I know I have PLENTY of time but I've been having regular contractions like 3-4 minute apart for like 6-8 hours then they will stop then the next day the same will happen (obviously its still early just giving an example) but my doctor said my body is stopping the labor on its own because he is face up so he's not putting enough pressure on my cervix to do anything. Is this true? And is there anything to get him to turn. I've been on spinning babies and it hasnt changed his position
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Replies (61-68):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Yep!  Two of my kids were sunny side up.  The worst of it was that it gave me back labor.  The first one flipped after I was put into a corkscrew position closer to pushing time.  The other one, I delivered face up.

momma4xover
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM

My VBAC was posterior, and I didn't know until two weeks after while talking to my husband and he said something about watching dd's face as i was pushing her out... lol! No wonder labor was sooo long, and she had a shoulder dystocia.

An_g_y
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My DS was born "sunny side up" and I had delivered him vaginally, he was my first so I am not sure if the contractions were different or not. My contractions were every 36 seconds and when he was coming out is when the doctor found out he was face up. The doctor did say that it is usually a little harder because you have to push harder to deliver that way but it really isn't a huge deal. My labor was 10 hours with him. 

butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I had a posterior labor. I was in labor for 17 hours with 3 1/3 hours of pushing. I stalled at 7cm when I reached the hospital (it could of been fear of hospitals, uncomfortable or position of baby). I would start doing lunges, get a doula and get on all fours and do the weird kitty cat position in yoga.  This baby is laying on his side and sideways no BH so far this time and I had them started with DS1 at like 28w till the day before I went into labor. I have had regular BH's with DS1 who was sunny side but also an upright labor can help turn babies in the posterior position. Babies can also turn minutes before being birthed. 

Douable, hard and the best thing ever when you completed that task.

PS I had DS1 on his EDD at 40w :) He didn't visibly drop until I started almost pushing.

Pregnancy Ticker

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My baby wasn't face up but instead she was sideways. She ended up being born with shoulder dystocia and her clavicle was fractured during the delivery. I know, not what you asked, but i'm telling you anyways. lol

Emily123456
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM
I never had a sunny side up but my lil girl was feet first I had to have an emergency c-section.i was 8 1/2 cm and she was there if my water would of broke my doctor said she could die come out r been hurt reall bad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Allinaday
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I had a 'Sunny side up' baby.  Actually it made labor easy in a way.  They said I couldn't push,that pushing wouldn't do any good.  So they had me lay on my side until she settled into position (took about 6 hours) then a few pushes later she came out fine.  So instead of pushing for hours I had to lay and wait.  In those 6 hours I rested and slept.  Apparenlty laying on your side in almost a fetal possition allows them to move further down and get in a better position.

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I'll have to remember that & try to lay on my side during labor. Thanks

Quoting Allinaday:

I had a 'Sunny side up' baby.  Actually it made labor easy in a way.  They said I couldn't push,that pushing wouldn't do any good.  So they had me lay on my side until she settled into position (took about 6 hours) then a few pushes later she came out fine.  So instead of pushing for hours I had to lay and wait.  In those 6 hours I rested and slept.  Apparenlty laying on your side in almost a fetal possition allows them to move further down and get in a better position.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)