Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Fetal doppler?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello ladies!! I am 10 weeks 3 days pregnant, and am looking to purchase a fetal doppler. I was wondering if any of you had one you were selling? I am looking to purchase one to help ease my mind sense I am a  high risk. Thanks to anyone who can help!:)

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alcavin08
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I want one so bad!!! But I have heard they are expensive. I am 14 weeks today and still have yet to hear my baby's heartbeat. I have had one prenatal appt already where they tried listening for it and she swore she heard it for a brief second but then couldn't find it again so she sent me in for an ultrasound. Baby looked good then and heartbeat was 167. Then I went into the er for a really bad cough last week and they tried listening to the heartbeat and still couldn't find it. Kind of has me worried but I do have a tilted uterus and the sonographer said that baby is sitting really low almost in my back so that may be why they can't hear the heartbeat yet. I go in next Monday and will be 15 weeks then so I am really hoping to finally get to hear it then. 

Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

you shouldn't use them too often...I would recommened a stethescope instead which is much safer and can be purchased for much less. Though it can't be used until later in pregnancy. You should not use them to ease your mind during pregnancy...fetal dopplers are MEDICAL equipment and should be used as such. I would speak with your doctor regarding purchasing one.

MeggieBReid
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I agree!!  I know its scary for me too. I worry every second of everyday too. If I lose alot of my pregnancy symptoms I worry. Thats why I am wanting doppler. I know its scary for you i cant imagine:( Ive head the heartbeat twice through vaginal ultrasound. First one was 166bpm at 8 weeks and 159 at 9 weeks. I am now 10.5 weeks pregnant and am just freaking out.

MeggieBReid
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

thanks for your input lars! I am really up in the air about them. Trying to see if they are actually "Safe" or not..... I dont have my next appointment for 2 weeks so i feel like it would help ease the mind a little bit.

Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

the risk of miscarrying AFTER hearing babies heartbeat is around 4%...there really isn't much to worry about. They really aren't safe to use for long periods of time or all the time. That's why at the doctor they use it for around 10-20 seconds at appointments which are spread far apart. I just don't want you to unknowingly harm yourself or your baby.

Quoting MeggieBReid:

thanks for your input lars! I am really up in the air about them. Trying to see if they are actually "Safe" or not..... I dont have my next appointment for 2 weeks so i feel like it would help ease the mind a little bit.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Welcome to the group and congrats! We usually don't buy and sell things in this group. Have you checked craigslist?

MeggieBReid
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

thanks Mrs.Andrews!! I did try craigslist with no luck:/ Those things are hard to get ahold of!lol

MeggieBReid
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

That does ease my mind a bit knowing its at 4% I've heard 2 strong heartbeats so far so that is reasurring. I am just losing alot of my pregnancy symptoms so that is what scares me too. I didnt know dopplers were risy.Whats risky about them?

Quoting Larsbug:

the risk of miscarrying AFTER hearing babies heartbeat is around 4%...there really isn't much to worry about. They really aren't safe to use for long periods of time or all the time. That's why at the doctor they use it for around 10-20 seconds at appointments which are spread far apart. I just don't want you to unknowingly harm yourself or your baby.

Quoting MeggieBReid:

Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

it's not that they are unsafe if used according to the safety recommendations in the package, but they aren't for everyday use. My doctor doesn't like her patients using them, and I know a few friends whose doctors are the same... just be sure to consult with your doctor before purchasing one. Every doctor is different. 

On a side note: welcome to the group and congratulations!!

Quoting MeggieBReid:

That does ease my mind a bit knowing its at 4% I've heard 2 strong heartbeats so far so that is reasurring. I am just losing alot of my pregnancy symptoms so that is what scares me too. I didnt know dopplers were risy.Whats risky about them?

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting MeggieBReid:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)