Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety meds and pregnancy :(

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 18 Replies
I am 36 and 7 weeks pregnant with my second child. My husband has two children from a previous marriage. I suffer from anxiety and my doctor is taking me off my meds, I am scared to death! My anxiety is already hit or miss on meds. I'm really not sure what to do or how to handle this. Any words of wisdom?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Terpsichore
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM

There are different anxiety meds. Pregnancy is an awful time for testing out what works. Meds for anxiety or depression are all tier C or tier D, so I went with a tier C (generic prozac) starting on the lowest dosage and found it worked enough to get me through pregnancy. It does cross the placenta, but the benefit outweighed the risk in my case. 

There are nonmedical ways of treating anxiety as well. Diet changes and exercising can decrease anxiety, as well as talk therapy. Those changes weren't effective enough for me, but they are effective for some.

Terpsichore
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM

You know, I might start intentionally misspelling words just so they can't be made into an advertsement clicky.

soaringflutes
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Just because you won't be taking meds anymore, doesn't mean that your anxiety will come back.  I was taking antidepresseants and antianxiety meds before getting pregnant, but I haven't taken any for the duration of my pregnancy, and I've felt just fine.  I'm 28 weeks along.  So it is possible to feel well without meds.  The hardest thing for me was getting off of an antianxiety medicine before conceiving.  I had withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks that were pretty bad.

Keep going to your doctor.  If you feel badly, there's probably something you can take while pregnant.  If you are set against it, therapy can help, and see if it's okay to try acupuncuture.

Sagemm
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for all your responses. I am going to taper down an see how I feel as I go. I am scared but its really bad for my baby.
Sagemm
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Having issues with my anxiety and I haven't even started to taper off my meds. I don't know what to do... I feel like I'm never going to feel "normal". At night is the worse, my body seems so agitated, I can not seem to slow down. I already limit my sugar and caffeine, walk, meditate... Everything I can think of.
BishMama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Why are you coming off the meds?  My doctor is keeping my on anxiety meds (just switched to something that she was more comfortabel with me being on).  She feels that having anxiety and panic attacks is worse for the baby than the small risk of me being on medication.

Sagemm
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I will be starting next week. I want to wait until my husband will be home from work due to the severity of my panic attacks. I also am trying acupuncture again... Idk how else to deal with my anxiety, I feel like I'm going crazy!
ItsJustKell
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Good luck sweetie! I had to stop taking my effexor when I was around 7 weeks pregnant. I won't lie. It sucked. The withdrawals mixed with my sever morning sickness was just terrible. But, it hasn't been that bad overall. I definitely have some uncontrollable crying here and there (much more than my first), but apparently that's completely accaptable for a pregnant person! 

It also helps to have a good support system. My SO has been incredible, and it has made the transition much more bearable. 

Sagemm
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It has been an up hill battle but I am staying positive (mostly) and had my first acupuncture appointment today. It takes time but one day I will be in a better place! Ty all and I will keep progress posted!
Adamswifey_xo
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

i have a really bad anxiety, depression, and bipolar problems my whole life. I've can control my bipolar mostly now but my anxiety and depression is what really effects me. my primary Dr (whos been my Dr since i was 3. I'm now 18) said i'm such a serve case that he'd rather not taking off my meds and he cut them down to the lowest dose and he even looked into changing it but this is the best one for me to be on. My boyfriend wants me on it cause i get so upset and stressed with out it. We are BOTH worried bout it effecting the baby some how and i really wanna stop taking it and my primary Dr said its my choise. My OB nurse (talked over phone) said that my OB Dr looked it up and said there may be risk to taking it while pregnant but no actually studies have been done on humans. (only animals.) The meds i'm on is Zyprexa. Have any of you been on meds while pregnant. Did it effect your baby in anyway. Any advise would be greatly appricated. Also what meds where you on while you was pregnant

Thanks,

Mercedes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured