Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anxiety meds and pregnancy :(

Posted by   + Show Post
I am 36 and 7 weeks pregnant with my second child. My husband has two children from a previous marriage. I suffer from anxiety and my doctor is taking me off my meds, I am scared to death! My anxiety is already hit or miss on meds. I'm really not sure what to do or how to handle this. Any words of wisdom?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Replies (11-18):
Sagemm
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Mercedes,
Everything I have read is non of these meds are good for the baby and there has been little to no research. I just started my tapering process today so.... I pray for the best! I figure the best I can do is try and see how it goes since I want the best for my baby and myself. I started acupuncture for my anxiety, I use peppermint oil, meditate and really anything I can think of but all honesty there are plenty of times I think I'm falling apart to say the least. I wish u best of luck with ur choices.
kaiyahsmommy
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM

i have anxiety as well and hav spent my entire second pregnancy so far (22 weeks) off of meds. i've found some ways to try and cope without the meds. i write, doodle on paper, cook (baking is relaxing for me), i dunno why, but doing laundry, i soak in the tub, listen to relaxing music, or i spend time with a friend with no children. sometimes talking to someone can make it better. hope you can kinda find your "zen" to keep calm! 

kaiyahsmommy
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM

oh, and i took zoloft while i was pregnant with my 4 year old at the time and she is perfect! just asthma, ecema, and allergies all of which were genetic.

3kidz123
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Tea, I turned to pregnancy tea's with my 4th child because I needed deppression meds and my doctor wouldn't give them to me in my first trimester. They have diffrent kinds, and some are stronly calming. There's also homiopathic anxiety stuff you could try...Your best bet is to find a midwife or herbalist. My midwife with my daughter gave me tintures threw my pregnancy for various problems...there save and helpfull.

3kidz123
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Rescue remedy is good for a quick fix, like panic attacks and it's safe. Many women use it durring labor :)

B vitamins are the calming vitiman....seriously though I'd find either a midwife, vitamin store, or natural heath store.

Sagemm
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM
So last night was rough to say the least. I haven't done anything strenuous or odd and I started cramping very bad which lead to red bleeding. I went to the ER where the nurse informed me I was have a miscarriage... I had blood work, ultra sound and pelvic exam. My baby has a viable heartbeat, my cervix is closed yet bleeding. Nobody can tell me why. I'm scared! Has this happend to anyone?
Platinum_blonde
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Ugh, it just erased two paragraphs I just wrote.  I'm gonna taper down as much as I can by the 3rd trimester, but I'm not sure how to totally get off meds for breastfeeding.  I read about congenital deformities, circulatory/respiratory problems and I cry.  Am I "not as bad" as those that smoke the entirety of their pregnancy? Or drank the first month or two because they didnt' know?  I'm a crying, confused, sobbing mess for two weeks or more and then don't feel like doing anything when I get off my meds.  How am I going to work? Tapering last time just made me bitchy at work.  How can anyone stand me?  I feel that maybe my meds is why I had the last miscarriage.  I definitely have to get off them for breastfeeding, so I can be a big sobbing mess at home.  Arg. 

Sagemm
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM
It's really hard! I have been off for a while and really feel horrible at times, like I need to rush to the er because I think I'm going to die not to mention I'm not emotionally stable at times. Speak to a midwife and I only say that because midwives seem a bit better including your feelings than just te medical side. Sometimes the meds also cause a lot of issues as well. Good luck and keep us posted on how ur doing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)