Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
My midwife told me to take excederin migraine for my migraines and see if that works before she will perscribe me imatrex again, but i only have Advil Migraine.... would that be OK to take or should i just stick to the excederin?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Ugh... i was asking a.simple question of nyome knew if advile migraine was the same as excederin migraine. I got.my answer. Glad i asked because my midwife apperently has been mistaken with the information she gave me so im glad i asked here . I see it happen in here so often where.someone asks a simple question and everyone wants to butt in but doesnt answer the question. I know the risks.of ibuprofen i was not asking anything about them.

Quoting Amycapl:

maybe you should just ask your midwife for medical information instead of jumping down the throats of well meaning non doctors on a message board online. just a thought.  99% of us (at the very least) know and have been told that the risks associated with taking Ibuprofen while pregnant are not good. MY non professional suggestion would be to consult a professional.

LilliesValley
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Op I'm pretty sure excedrin is tylenol or acetaminaphen with caffiene. Advil migraine is just ibuprofen and a marketing ploy. It's the same as regular advil or ibuprofen. I'd look up the active ingredients and compare. I think you'll find they are different.

You may also want to consult with a pharmacists. They may be able to recommend something otc or prescription that is lower risk. Then you could discuss with your midwife what they recommend. That's honestly what I'd do.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Wtf wow. Can i get a simple amswer without wveryone acting like they are a doctor.

I obviously know your only supposed to take tylenol... did i ask anything about.that? No. I asked if excederin migrain wiuld be the same as advil migraine.

For the 4th time. Tylenil doesnt budge.my migraines. Ibuprofen is SAFER then my imatrex so my midwives told be to take it. Specifically excederin migraine. How different if advil migraine from excederin migraine?

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Thank you. This exactly the informarion i was looking for. She did say if the "ibupofen" didnt help she would give me the imatrex .... so im going to just ask for a perscription for that instead. It helps much more anyways. I notices when i have imatrex they tend to go completely away. The ibuprofen would take the edge.off but it would still never.completely go away, with it i had a.slight.migraine for almost a week... if i would of taken one dose of imatrex it would of been gone with one dose instead of taking.meds everyday to.keep it tolerable.

Quoting Duquesne:

I'd ask her again what her recommendation was. I know migraines suck. But aspirin(in Excedrin) isn't the best option....HOWEVER...between the two, Excedrin is the safer route. Ibuprofen causes complications in labor, which is why it is contraindicated in the third trimester.

Safefetus.com is a great resource to tell you their risks. I took a prescription med when absolutely necessary (extreme cases if migraine) because I felt the risks posed were significantly less than Advil and Excedrin. Tylenol IS pretty pointless but offers little fetal risk. I found if I could head off the migraine before it got bad (as in the visual aura stage), Tylenol kept it minimal.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Now im confused she told.me i need ibuprpfen since it reduces swelling in the vessels and said excederin migraine is what she reccomends....

The pervious midwife saod just ibuprofen but didnt say a specific brand.

Both did say i cant take ibuprofen after 32 weeks thiugh.

Quoting Duquesne:

Advil is ibuprofen. Excedrin is acetaminophen and aspirin. Obviously, you're mistaken. Ibuprofen isn't any safer than imitrex. But, your baby. I don't really care what you do. Obviously, you're only looking for affirmation.

Check out google to avoid further foot-in-mouth situations, please.

Quoting KristinCarr:

You obviously have no clue what your talking about. 1. Excederin is NOT asprin iy is ibuprofen. 2. She explained the risks in second trimester are a lot.lower and are something with narrowing of a vessel and lowamniotic fluid. 3. I have to take some medicine or my 3 and 4 year old wont get taken care of... if ibuprpfen is safer than my migrain meds then why would she have me keep taking my migraine meds when they have ahigher risk.

Quoting Duquesne:

Ok once again, NEITHER is recommended or safe. And no. Excedrin is not the same as ibuprofen. You risk fetal and maternal bleeding, miscarriage, and heart defects with aspirin during pregnancy. Shame on your midwife for suggesting it. I have chronic migraines and survived without added risk to my unborn.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Ok ONCE AGAIN. That is not what im asking. My MIDWIVES told me to take excederin migraine. It reduces inflammation tylenol.doesnt. tylenol doesnt budge my migraines. Ibuprofen is safer than migraine meds. So my question is if she said to take excederin.migraine.would advil.migraine be the same?

Quoting Duquesne:

Tylenol. No aspirin or ibuprofen.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspirin-during-pregnancy/AN01897

Amycapl
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

no, sweetie, i think you need to reread your post. you said your midwife told you to take Excedrin (acetaminophen) but is it ok to take Advil (Ibuprofen) instead. your exact question was "would that (Advil) be okay to take or should i stick to the Excedrin?"  your question was answered the way you asked it.  And you got quite snotty quite fast in a group where (as far as I've seen) everyone has been very kind to you.  Perhaps you should reword your question.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Ugh... i was asking a.simple question of nyome knew if advile migraine was the same as excederin migraine. I got.my answer. Glad i asked because my midwife apperently has been mistaken with the information she gave me so im glad i asked here . I see it happen in here so often where.someone asks a simple question and everyone wants to butt in but doesnt answer the question. I know the risks.of ibuprofen i was not asking anything about them.

Quoting Amycapl:

maybe you should just ask your midwife for medical information instead of jumping down the throats of well meaning non doctors on a message board online. just a thought.  99% of us (at the very least) know and have been told that the risks associated with taking Ibuprofen while pregnant are not good. MY non professional suggestion would be to consult a professional.

CafeMom Tickers
KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Thank you thays a great idea also. My midwife.led me to believe they were both ibuprofen... but.now that i look them up the advil.migraine is basically ibuprofen with potassium which ive never seen for.migraines but who knows.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Op I'm pretty sure excedrin is tylenol or acetaminaphen with caffiene. Advil migraine is just ibuprofen and a marketing ploy. It's the same as regular advil or ibuprofen. I'd look up the active ingredients and compare. I think you'll find they are different.

You may also want to consult with a pharmacists. They may be able to recommend something otc or prescription that is lower risk. Then you could discuss with your midwife what they recommend. That's honestly what I'd do.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Wtf wow. Can i get a simple amswer without wveryone acting like they are a doctor.

I obviously know your only supposed to take tylenol... did i ask anything about.that? No. I asked if excederin migrain wiuld be the same as advil migraine.

For the 4th time. Tylenil doesnt budge.my migraines. Ibuprofen is SAFER then my imatrex so my midwives told be to take it. Specifically excederin migraine. How different if advil migraine from excederin migraine?

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM
No the first 4 posts where saying to take tyenol that was NOT answering my question and yes i got annoyed when they were talking abiut.something.i was not ansking. A PP answered my question perfectly.explaining the difderemces because i was led.to believe excederin is ibuprofen since my.midwife said i needed ibuprofen to redice swelling and to take excederin. My question was answered but defonitely not by the posters saying its not safe

Quoting Amycapl:

no, sweetie, i think you need to reread your post. you said your midwife told you to take Excedrin (acetaminophen) but is it ok to take Advil (Ibuprofen) instead. your exact question was "would that (Advil) be okay to take or should i stick to the Excedrin?"  your question was answered the way you asked it.  And you got quite snotty quite fast in a group where (as far as I've seen) everyone has been very kind to you.  Perhaps you should reword your question.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Quoting Amycapl:

.stella.
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Who would have thought tylenol and ibuprofen could get some people riled up in a quickness. XD
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Excedrine is acetaminophen which is Tylenol. So no excedrine is NOT ibuprofen. So no you should not use Advil. Yes there is a difference.

Quoting KristinCarr:

You obviously have no clue what your talking about. 1. Excederin is NOT asprin iy is ibuprofen. 2. She explained the risks in second trimester are a lot.lower and are something with narrowing of a vessel and lowamniotic fluid. 3. I have to take some medicine or my 3 and 4 year old wont get taken care of... if ibuprpfen is safer than my migrain meds then why would she have me keep taking my migraine meds when they have ahigher risk.

Quoting Duquesne:

Ok once again, NEITHER is recommended or safe. And no. Excedrin is not the same as ibuprofen. You risk fetal and maternal bleeding, miscarriage, and heart defects with aspirin during pregnancy. Shame on your midwife for suggesting it. I have chronic migraines and survived without added risk to my unborn.

Quoting KristinCarr:

Ok ONCE AGAIN. That is not what im asking. My MIDWIVES told me to take excederin migraine. It reduces inflammation tylenol.doesnt. tylenol doesnt budge my migraines. Ibuprofen is safer than migraine meds. So my question is if she said to take excederin.migraine.would advil.migraine be the same?

Quoting Duquesne:

Tylenol. No aspirin or ibuprofen.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspirin-during-pregnancy/AN01897

Avetay
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Ask for fierocet. It helped my migraines without hurting my baby.
And no they aren't the same
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rjmac88
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I worked in a nicu for years and can't count the number of norco babies coming through on detox because some idiot dr or midwife prescribed them to a pregnant woman. Don't assume becuse your care provider said to its ok. ALL all the science goes against their recommendation. Sure you may be done taking it. Bit don't be shocked if you aren't and something horrible happens. It's heavily advised and warned against. And no. Excedrine and Advil are NOT interchangeable
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN