Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

stopping labor

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 10 Replies
i am 35 weekes. this is my 3rd baby, im 2cm yesterday they stopped labor. how long will it work?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

If you're going to go into labor, you're going to go into labor. Studies showthat tocolytics and bed rest are not effective. The good news is that at 35 weeks, your baby will be fine.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this
It really depends on your body. Really hard to know..could be a day or a few weeks
mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

This.

Quoting meam4444:

It really depends on your body. Really hard to know..could be a day or a few weeks

connorsmama06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

They stopped my labor 5 times from 22 weeks until 38 weeks.  The last time was at 35 weeks. I was in the hospital for 3 days. 

Sassy_Mommy1
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I went into labor at 27+2 weeks with my son had him at 28 weeks. It didn't work very well with me. It definitely depends on your body.
daughteroftruth
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

some times they mistake "labor" for just irritable contractions.  With all of my kids I am dilated 2-3 cm by 35 weeks, I have regular, readable contractions.  They "stopped' labor with the first three with terbutaline and magnesium.  i did not have them till 39 weeks.  I had the exact same things happen with my next two, and we took no measures and I still did not deliver till 39 weeks.  this one so far i'm about 2 cm dialated, 37 weeks, regular strong contractions ranging from 7-10 min to 3-5 min, lasting almost a min each... and chances are, she will stay put till 39 weeks as well. 

Now I did take a magnesium supplement up till 36 weeks with this pregnancy, and it did not stop the contractions, but it does ease them up a bit so that i was not as uncomfortable.  So you may want to try a mag supp for then next week, but after that, you should stop since after 36 weeks if your body says it is time, then you have no reason to argue.

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM
If they stopped your labor it wasn't labor. True labor can't be stopped, only (sometimes) slowed down. It was probably prodromal labor. I had that for 5 weeks with my 3rd starting at about 36 weeks until I had her after 41 weeks.

It really surprises me that they did that at 35 weeks. Most doctors won't try to stop/slow labor after 34 weeks as it tends to do more harm than good.
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM
They won't try and stop labor after 36-37 weeks. And do you mean your labor stopped or they gave you something to stop it???
lilliebug
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM
they gave me a shot to stop it.

Quoting nikkifam5:

They won't try and stop labor after 36-37 weeks. And do you mean your labor stopped or they gave you something to stop it???

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Yes some will do that if they feel the baby giant ready. And by some hospital standards they have too before a certain time. But don't worry. Baby will be here soon!

Quoting lilliebug:

they gave me a shot to stop it.

Quoting nikkifam5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)