Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think about these names?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 49 Replies

I have gotten a lot of negative feedback on the names we are considering for our new baby. Please be honest; I don't want to pick an awful name..

Boy: Raylan James or Skyler Cole

Girl: Brylee Michelle

We love them all but for some reason people really seem to hate Raylan and Brylee... :(

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
They aren't my taste but they aren't horrible. Skyler is very feminine though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sheli.bean
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I like them! Brylee seems to be getting really popular right now, not sure if that matters to you or not. But I totally don't think Skyler is feminine either, I've only ever met male Skylers. I do kinda think Raylan is a bit feminine though. Good luck, I really like your choices!
Aubs1990
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Who cares what other people think. Its not their decision. I like them all.

mama_heather
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Thank you! It's nice to get some positive feedback. I was told that Raylan and Brylee sounded like "trashy trailer park names" and that really upset me. We actually got Raylan from that show Justified; the main male lead is named Raylan, haha. And, yeah, I have only ever met male Skyler's as well.. that's why it confuses me when people say it's feminine.
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I like Skyler okay, but I strongly dislike Raylan and Brylee, they just sound unpleasant and kind of trashy.

mama_heather
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

It does matter to a point though if you think about it. Children are picked on constantly in school because of their names. For example when I was in school my friend was named Luigi...the countless jokes about Mario and Luigi and "loogie" were enough to make him threaten suicide and other things. I don't want a name I choose for my son or daughter to cause problems like that.

Quoting Aubs1990:

mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I don't like Skyler for a boy but I like the other names. 8)

ajohnson08099
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I love brylee. It would have been my number one girl name.. but my brother is gaining two step-dd's named riley and blakely so... too close.

The only reason I don't like raylan would be for the nn ray. Cute otherwise. I've only known male skylers.

Please someone explain how in the world those names are trashy O.o
Aubs1990
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids are always going to pick no matter what....they will always find something so to me it dont matter....I also got picked on for my name, Aubrey.

Quoting mama_heather:

It does matter to a point though if you think about it. Children are picked on constantly in school because of their names. For example when I was in school my friend was named Luigi...the countless jokes about Mario and Luigi and "loogie" were enough to make him threaten suicide and other things. I don't want a name I choose for my son or daughter to cause problems like that.

Quoting Aubs1990:

Isabella Ann-Marie (01-05-09)  Edward John (07-29-10)  Elena Irene (7-23-13)

ajohnson08099
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm seriously just curious but why are those names trashy?

Quoting LucyHarper:

I like Skyler okay, but I strongly dislike Raylan and Brylee, they just sound unpleasant and kind of trashy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured