Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
I am 4 weeks 2 days pregnant and I have strep throat. My OB called in an antibiotic for me. But I'm nervous to take it. Anyone take an antibiotic before while pregnant? I really want the pain to go away and I don't want my DD or DH to get it so I'm leaning towards taking it. Just thought I would get some opinions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (11-13):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You can take garlic capsules, which you can find in the vitamin isle. I've had strep and problems with my tonsils 2-3x a year since I was 7 and still can't find a doctor to get rid of my tonsils. Garlic capsules work wonders in addition to a vitamin C and prenatal!

Rachelz123
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Thank you. I had my tonsils removed when I was 5. So thankfully I have never even had strep before. But it's getting harder to swallow as the day goes on. My uvula is so swollen it feels like I have something stuck in my throat every time I swallow. Ugh so frustrating.

Quoting Pandapanda:

You can take garlic capsules, which you can find in the vitamin isle. I've had strep and problems with my tonsils 2-3x a year since I was 7 and still can't find a doctor to get rid of my tonsils. Garlic capsules work wonders in addition to a vitamin C and prenatal!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tinka_pixie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. I'm a group strep B carrier, and have to take an antibiotic every pregnancy. Also, due to other SERIOUS life threatening problems, I've been on antibiotics the entire 5 months I've been pregnant. I know that doxycycline isn't a safe one. I HAD to take it in october, and they crossed their fingers that it wouldn't hurt the baby growth. It effects teeth and nail growth. they said since i was in the first trimester that I'd probably be ok. as for others, I've taken clindamycin many times while pregnant, and they consider it to be safe. It's likely they will give you penicillin or amoxicillin, because those are safe during pregnancy, and are good for strep throat. Just listen to your doctor, he probably knows whats safe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)