Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First doctors appointment..Important questions to ask???

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm 6weeks and.2 days preg. My first appointment is Thursday. What are some important questions to ask?? Thanks ladies! 

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AthenaGrace
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely ask about anything you're feeling and whether or not it's normal or could mean an issue. Even sometimes symptoms that everybody thinks are normal can indicate a problem and you don't want to miss it! I spotted a little with my first pregnancy and everybody said it was normal, but I ended up having a miscarriage at 9 weeks. Don't let anything slip by. 

But don't let me worry you too much either. Good luck! :)

SafariSun
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for responding. This is my first pregnancy so idk what to ask about or mention! So far I've had no spotting thankfully. I've just had cramping that goes into my upper thigh on the left side. I'll be sure to mention everything! Thanks!!

Quoting AthenaGrace:

Definitely ask about anything you're feeling and whether or not it's normal or could mean an issue. Even sometimes symptoms that everybody thinks are normal can indicate a problem and you don't want to miss it! I spotted a little with my first pregnancy and everybody said it was normal, but I ended up having a miscarriage at 9 weeks. Don't let anything slip by. 

But don't let me worry you too much either. Good luck! :)

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM

What is his/her c-section rate? (If it is above 15% and they do not have mostly high risk patients, run far, run fast!)

What is his/her view on episiotomies? What is their episiotomy rate? If they can honestly say they have performed more than say two in five years, then they are not offering evidencebased care. 

Do they support or encourage elective inductions?

What rate of labors do they induce? What rate of labors they augment?

Are they comfortable catching baby when a mom is they position her body dictates? 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Congratulations!

Are you interviewing different kinds of providers?     (OB or Midwife)    The way they practice and outcomes are really different, it helps to know what you are looking for, your preferences and priorities.

:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured