Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I am not weird, it is my choice

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 39 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

weird ;)

normal

agree

they should mind their own business

PARTY!!! :)

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 77

View Results

Everone I run into or know, asks me what we are naming our baby. A girl due in May/ End of April. When I tell them that I don't know what I am naming her and that even though I have a list of names I like, I haven't committed to anything just yet. Because I feel that seeing my child face to face helps my naming process (did it with the last 2 lol)

"Well I had my child's name picked out within a few months of being pregnant."   Good for you

"You must not really be excited about having another baby, otherwise you would care."  Ummm what?

When I explain the face to face thing, they look at me like I was speaking a foreign language, shake their head, and cast their judgements. LOL

I am not bothered by their remarks I just don't understand their fascination with my child's name. I get wanting to know and a lot of my friends that are pregnant with their first kids are the ones mostly guilty of this, but once you get to baby #3 there are other things that need to be taken care of before stressing out over a name. I am over here stressing over what sort of baby items we are getting. I am more "stressed" about us not having anything for baby yet except a pack of onsies, pack of socks and an outfit. And being 32 weeks along lol. We are waiting on money to move around and bills to get paid so we know our budget. I do think we bought our crib already though so that is a positive lol

ok that was my random thought for right now. comment or don't I am just bored lol

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I am guilty of wanting to know names too but I understand where you are coming from. I know a few friends who pick out names but refuse to tell anyone until the baby is here. Makes it more exciting lol

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM
In my eyes it is a.little wierd but i completely mean this as a personal opinion. Do i think its bad? HECK NO! But for me.its strange because i had names pick out before i even got pregnant with my last two and my first we picked within a few months of finding out. My best friend didnt name either of hers till after she had them. I dont know how she did it lol but i personally couldnt. To each their own. Saying u domt care is horrible. If anything u care more because ur waiting so long to find the perfect name! =)
I would jusy tell people "it takes time to decide the name my baby will live with for life" or something along tgose lines
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ness_uh_0630
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

i get it. I personally like to look at my child and see what suits them, when I had my first, i thought about bianca and then I saw her and was like, bianca sounds a little snooty and so i ended up giving her my great grand mothers first name and my moms first name for her middle name Hortensia Dianne. I am always so picky anyways so cant really commit lol

Quoting KristinCarr:

In my eyes it is a.little wierd but i completely mean this as a personal opinion. Do i think its bad? HECK NO! But for me.its strange because i had names pick out before i even got pregnant with my last two and my first we picked within a few months of finding out. My best friend didnt name either of hers till after she had them. I dont know how she did it lol but i personally couldnt. To each their own. Saying u domt care is horrible. If anything u care more because ur waiting so long to find the perfect name! =)
I would jusy tell people "it takes time to decide the name my baby will live with for life" or something along tgose lines

boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I get waiting until you see the baby, we chose the name after getting the u/s so we could start using it right away rather than "the baby" lol. What I don't get, is waiting until the baby "shows their personality" to pick a name. I would never leave the hospital without naming the baby (well maybe never is strong but I just can't see the circumstances where that would happen) much less wait a few months
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LotusBubbleFly
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that a lot of times people think that when you decide to do things different than what they did or what they think is normal, then they automatically think that you would view what THEY chose to do as BAD. So, they automatically have a kind of negative vibe towards what you're choosing to do. I told people at work that did ask about names, that we have some names but I'm not telling anyone right now. Some people understood and some were a bit offended because they took it personally when its not something personal against them lol, its just our decision that we chose for the pregnancy. I think sometimes people forget that pregnancy is made up of a lot of personal decisions that each person has to make for themselves and it's not always going to be the same as what they chose. It's going to be whatever suits you, your personality, and your family :)

and no you are not weird, it is definitely YOUR choice!

ness_uh_0630
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM

yeah I dont get the whole personality thing either, I have the baby as "baby girl ___" for the first day and when I leave they have their names 

Quoting boshs1andonly:

I get waiting until you see the baby, we chose the name after getting the u/s so we could start using it right away rather than "the baby" lol. What I don't get, is waiting until the baby "shows their personality" to pick a name. I would never leave the hospital without naming the baby (well maybe never is strong but I just can't see the circumstances where that would happen) much less wait a few months

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

not pregnant but when i am i DONT even wanna find out their gender. Names i will discuss but the real naming would be the day i see the baby. =)

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I think it is your baby, so you get to pick the name and when it's given.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I decide names before even getting pregnant. However, I can see why you do it the way you do. I would judge you (being honest) if you said you like to name babies while still in the hospital and you refuse to even think of a name till then. I do find that slightly annoying that people are spending their time in the hospital with their newborn debating names back and forth. But, you said you have a list already so no biggie :D

ItsJustKell
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Not weird at all! We weren't sure about names for my daughter until she was born.  And I don't tell people my name preferences because it gives them a reason to give me their opinion which I don't give two shits about. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN