Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breastfeeding and venting...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is anyone else planning to exclusively breastfeed their baby? I am and this will be the first time I have done it. I am just so concerned I won't be able to even though with my first child it took forever for my milk to dry up even though he was exclusively formula fed. so many things were horrible about my first pregnancy and I want things to turn out great this time. Last time, my bf at the time (now my husband) were seperated and I was living with my mom and him and my mom were in the delivery room and they just couldn't get along. My mom was mad I gave my son his dad's last name and then my bf was pissed I took the baby to my mom's house instead of going home with him. I just want everything to be perfect this time and not have to deal with any family drama or have my child in the NICU again. Would you allow visitors immediately after having baby? I am thinking I am against it because I want my son to be the first besides us (mom and dad) to see and bond with baby. Is this being selfish?? 

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

it's your call on who you want in the room. if you just want you and DH for a while, make sure the nurses know that, they won't allow anyone in your room.

Alcavin08
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I just don't want people saying something stupid to make me feel guilty for waiting to have visitors. I mean it will only be my husband in the delivery room this time but it still makes me nervous to think people will just randomly show up because last time I never got any warning anyone was on their way to see me and the baby. They just showed up unannounced. And one thing that really pissed me off was my husbands sister walks up in the delivery room right after I gave birth and I wasn't even cleaned up or anything. I had no privacy at all. And I had my mom down there snapping pictures as I am giving birth. It was overall just a bad experience that I don't want to relive.

Quoting Larsbug:

it's your call on who you want in the room. if you just want you and DH for a while, make sure the nurses know that, they won't allow anyone in your room.

Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

just make sure the hospital staff knows you want NO visitors until they clear it through you...if they want to be childish and get mad then let them

Quoting Alcavin08:

I just don't want people saying something stupid to make me feel guilty for waiting to have visitors. I mean it will only be my husband in the delivery room this time but it still makes me nervous to think people will just randomly show up because last time I never got any warning anyone was on their way to see me and the baby. They just showed up unannounced. And one thing that really pissed me off was my husbands sister walks up in the delivery room right after I gave birth and I wasn't even cleaned up or anything. I had no privacy at all. And I had my mom down there snapping pictures as I am giving birth. It was overall just a bad experience that I don't want to relive.

Quoting Larsbug:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Alcavin08
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Guess this would be the time to put my foot down. I normally wouldn't ever be so crazy about this sort of thing but with previous experience it has really made me think of the hours after having the baby.

Quoting Alcavin08:

Is anyone else planning to exclusively breastfeed their baby? I am and this will be the first time I have done it. I am just so concerned I won't be able to even though with my first child it took forever for my milk to dry up even though he was exclusively formula fed. so many things were horrible about my first pregnancy and I want things to turn out great this time. Last time, my bf at the time (now my husband) were seperated and I was living with my mom and him and my mom were in the delivery room and they just couldn't get along. My mom was mad I gave my son his dad's last name and then my bf was pissed I took the baby to my mom's house instead of going home with him. I just want everything to be perfect this time and not have to deal with any family drama or have my child in the NICU again. Would you allow visitors immediately after having baby? I am thinking I am against it because I want my son to be the first besides us (mom and dad) to see and bond with baby. Is this being selfish?? 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM
As far as breastfeeding goes, I hope you can ebf! Do as much research as you can, speak with your dr and maybe find a lactation consultant. Make sure you are prepared with nursing bras/tanks and breast pads. Tell your hospital that baby is not allowed formula.

As far as at the hospital - it is your baby so you call the shots. At my hospital we had to approve all visitors so there were no surprises.

Good luck & I hope things go as you'd like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

It's up to you who is in the room. As far as the bf'ing, I'll be doing it this time like I have the others. I bf'd my first for 13 mo before he weaned and then there was a break of a couple years before my second was born. From the time my second was born till now, I've bf'd 6 straight years every single day between him and his sister. He weaned at 3 1/2. My youngest is 2 1/2 and is till nursing and I figure she might continue till this baby is here. I'll probably have nursed 10 straight years by the time this baby weans.

Join the bf'ing group for sure. They'll be able to help you out anytime you think you have to quit bf'ing.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

With my babies I have not called to tell anyone baby is coming/here until well after arrival.    Family hears even over a week later, lol    It is fine to wait, imo!
GL!
And if you would like more help with BFing just ask---

;-)

brittany208
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Good luck with the breastfeeding. Realize that sometimes problems do happen, but most women can do it without too much trouble. Relax and if there is a lactation consultant at the hospital, get as much help as possible.

As far as your family... don't tell them you are there until after the fact. Stand your ground, be confident, and don't worry about negative things they have to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)