Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Going on depo after pregnancy and I'm worried

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM
  • 38 Replies
I keep reading from other moms that it prevented them from losing weight, they bled a lot and had almost zero sex drive. I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and I haven't had a drive for sex hardly at all since super early on in my pregnancy. And I don't want to keep that going. :( is depo a bad idea? Thoughts or opinions? I NEED to loose weight after this pregnancy. I can't stand the way this weight is making me feel. Help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy9518
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:10 AM
My own opinion bad idea. I gained 10ibs in the first month and no matter what I did I couldn't get it off. I also has no sex drive and it made me depressed. On the exact 3month mark I started to bleed. I never went back for a 2nd shot and bleed for 6 months straight. It only stopped bc I started clomid.
Mommytoaangel
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Bad idea i heard it makes it harder to get pregnant harder to lose weight no sex drive an it makes some people bleed really good
TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:26 AM
I haaaated depo!! It did make me gain weight like crazy and I've always been a slim girl who had trouble keeping weight ON. I also bled the entire 6 months I was on it, not bled, but spotted small amounts. Not enough for a panty liner but enough to ruin all my undies. And it smelled like wet dog. It also made me break out on my back, which I'd never done before. It also took a solid year on the pill to get a regular cycle back. It's the devil. Don't do it.
KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Ive only herd horrible things. A friend of mime.got it.once she was tiny and im.mean extra.tiny and ahe gained a lot.of weight when she didnt even gain weight from being pregnant amd it took her a year to get pregnant from just one shot
christinarb
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Depo does.make u gaon weight i was on it before.. But u can still work out nd.lose it it stops you from bleeding too.. Im also pregnant nd considering going.bacl on.depo after babys born but.i wanna get my system cleaned out .. I haven't bleed for 9months. Lol all that nasty.blood.needs to go away .. But depo isnt a bad idea
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM
I loved depo. I was on it for 3 years and didn't gain weight. The research says if you're overweight and start depo, then you are more likely to gain on the depo shot.

Also something that shocked me, I was on it for 3 years, missed a shot in september and got pregnant in february.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tbarnes895
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

BAD IDEA!!!  I went on depo after I had my first son and I actually put on almost 20 lbs which I'm still struggling to lose.  It also not only affects your sex drive but it also makes you very dry which makes sex uncomfortable and lube a necessity.  But my major problem with it was that I was told that when I was ready to have another baby to stop the shots 3 months before and I would be fine.  That was a lie and it took us 2 years of trying after the depo to get pregnant.

I only had 3 shots.

jeepygirl
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Depo is evil. I was on it for over 2 years. My husband and I joke now that Depo prevents pregnancy by making women raging witches and making them not want to have sex. I also gained like 30lbs on it and my hair started falling out towards the end. There are far too many other options for me to ever consider Depo again.

ajohnson08099
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Uggg I hate depo. I took one shot oct 2010 and I was unable to get pregnant until oct 2012!! (Currently 19 weeks 6 days)

I also gained clos to 30 pounds in the time after that.. I was a complete bitch too!!

Also.. though I guess I can't prove it.. I dveloped a massive ovarian cyst. I endd losing my ovary and tube... was threatened with a histerectomy. I was 22!!!

I just don't think taking something you can't reverse is a good idea. At leat with an iud you can remove it and with the pill it wears off quickly. When you take the shot you're pretty stuck.
coffeemom37043
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I never had weight issues with Depo, but it messed up my hormones really bad. It literally dried up my estrogen and it made me depressed. I switched from it and had to go on a special pill to get my estrogen levels back up AND I had to go back on my anti-depressants because of it. It is a horrible method of b.c. and my OB won't even administer it anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)