Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

to young to be a mom

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 109 Replies
How young is too young to have a baby? Im 21 and hear people say "your still to young" all the time. Im 100% confused bc back then our parents and our parents, parents where younger then me having children. I have my own place, had 2 jobs (got laid off) and still in college. But age isnt nothing but a number. How old were u when u had ur first child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
true-love-21
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I was 18.. now I'm 20 and pregnant with my second.
Brooked18
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I was prego with me first 7 months after my 21st bday had her when I was 22
Mrs.Greco
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I had my first a month and a half after my 18th birthday and I'm pregnant with number 2 at age 24. Age isn't really relevant. If you're ready to change roles and start a family then you're old enough. Financial security isn't really a factor either. While you should have it before you have children, I have met my fair share of financially stable people that were not ready to be parents.
emilyelephant
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would consider someone to young if they were unable to support themselves and a baby. It's more about mental maturity than physical age. I know people that are almost 30 that are too immature to have children, but have them anyway.

I was 19 when I got pregnant (20 when I had her) and by boyfriend was 21, but we were already supporting ourselves. The percentage of teenage mothers has actually gone down since the 60s, it's the percent of unmarried teenage mothers that has gone way up, which is one of the reasons it's become a big fuss.

I think since it's less common for people to get married at age 18-22 (and actually less common for parents of all ages to be married when they have their first child), everyone assumes younger mothers are not married (which to older people, I think, means a relationship is doomed)

CeciliaMarie-
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I'm almost 20 and ill be having my first when I am 20 so it's young but it isn't a bad thing:)
duchessofhearts
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM
24 with my first 26 with my second and 29 with my 3rd and last baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ame0608
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I'm 36, and this is my first kid. I still don't know what the hell I'm doing :)

I do think sometimes people confuse age for wisdom, though. 

Just remember that every step presents itself to you when YOU'RE ready. You're the only one who knows what's right for you.

MommiesPNut
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I was 17 when I got pregnant with my first. Had him a month after I turned 18. Now I'm expecting number 2 and he is due on my 23rd birthday (April).
SarahMommie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM
19:-$
DerDer528
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I Was 17 With My First. Don't Go By What Other People Say. Go By What You Feel Is Right:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN