Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Update: Gestational Diabetes = CSection???

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 32 Replies

Update:

I got the results of my one hour blood glucose test. My level was 94, which they said is within normal range for the test. (They said normal is anything from 65-125) So I am going to keep taking the metformin and eating carefully like I have been. (No white rice, white bread, soda...etc)

Thank you everyone for your advice and input! <3

Hi, I am going to be a first time mommy in July. I had high blood sugar before becoming pregnant due to pcos and was/and still am on Metformin. I have my gestational diabetes test next Tuesday, and I was wondering if there were many of you that continued to have normal pregnancies with gb, or if you needed a csection. 

I ask because a family member of mine was telling me that gb increases the risk of baby being stillborn by waiting till 40weeks? She also was saying that babies can get too large to be born vaginally.

Most websites said the too big for vaginal birth was bs, but I just wanted to hear personal experiences please!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Strawberry2008
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Bump. changed title

ahawkins
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I have GD and I plan to have a vag. Birth. I'm due in July as well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM

If your sugars are controlled, then you have no real risk factor for fetal macrosomia (big baby) and your pregnancy and birth are not considered high risk (for that issue). 

HERE are studies about inducing for GD. 

new.mommy1
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

No that is not always true. I was told the same thing but my doctor told me not to worry...watch what you eat and walk and drink plenty of water. My boyfriend and father of my child's mother had gd and he came out 10 pounds 11 oz. My cousin had gd with her twin boys and both came out prefectly healthy. Dont stress that much on it. They will try and have you puch your little nugget until its just to late then they will give you a C-section. 

Tea4Tas
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I had GD with my last child-he was a hair under 9 pounds and almost a week late. All natural birth.

Strawberry2008
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Thank you all for sharing! I was really hoping that she was wrong. I really want to try a natural birth without pain meds, and I do not want a csecton unless baby or I are in distress. 

SMDufour
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

From what I know, if you got pregnant while you already had diabetes, you are higher risk for stillborn/big baby... if you have gestational diabetes the only things that could happen is a larger baby (if not controlled) and baby could have high sugars when born - that is why it's so important to nurse asap when you deliver.  I had GD with my first pregnancy and I delivered vaginally - C-section was not even mentioned.  I plan to deliver vaginally with this one as well (and I have GD again - although this one is controlled just by diet so far).  GL 

Strawberry2008
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. I had high blood sugar prior to pregnancy but was not diabetic prior to pregnancy. Plus I am taking meds for it. I'm hoping I won't have gb but I figure I'll take it one step at a time. Are you are a particular diet because of gb? 

Quoting SMDufour:

From what I know, if you got pregnant while you already had diabetes, you are higher risk for stillborn/big baby... if you have gestational diabetes the only things that could happen is a larger baby (if not controlled) and baby could have high sugars when born - that is why it's so important to nurse asap when you deliver.  I had GD with my first pregnancy and I delivered vaginally - C-section was not even mentioned.  I plan to deliver vaginally with this one as well (and I have GD again - although this one is controlled just by diet so far).  GL 

rjmac88
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I have a friend who had 2 of her hold at home as vbacs both with GD
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Treatment for GD doesn't change the outcome of a pregnancy, for the most part. 

GD does come with risks, but those risks are nothing when you look at things statistically. 

GD does NOT mean you need to be induced or have a c-section if your blood sugar is controlled either through diet or medication. 

Here's some information about gestational diabetes. It's a lot of reading, but well worth the time you spend. 

Part 1

Part 2

I had GD with my second baby. She came on her own five days early and weighed 2oz less than her brother did (I did not have GD with her brother).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)