Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions?? Anxiety meds while pregnant

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

Heyy Ladies, I got the i'm expecting app on my phone and according to that i'm 8weeks and 5days today. I got my first Dr apt Monday. Really excited and nervous. First off, This is me and my boyfriends first baby. The Dr i'm going to just delivered our neice almost 3months ago. Depending how this appointment goes i may switch. (i aint crazy i just want a good dr) I'm very picking with Drs. I don't trust Drs. Also, i have a really bad anxiety, depression, and bipolar problems my whole life. I've can control my bipolar mostly now but my anxiety and depression is what really effects me. my primary Dr (whos been my Dr since i was 3. I'm now 18) said i'm such a serve case that he'd rather not taking off my meds and he cut them down to the lowest dose and he even looked into changing it but this is the best one for me to be on. My boyfriend wants me on it cause i get so upset and stressed with out it. We are BOTH worried bout it effecting the baby some how and i really wanna stop taking it and my primary Dr said its my choise. My OB nurse (talked over phone) said that my OB Dr looked it up and said there may be risk to taking it while pregnant but no actually studies have been done on humans. (only animals.) The meds i'm on is Zyprexa. Have any of you been on meds while pregnant. Did it effect your baby in anyway. Any advise would be greatly appricated.

Thanks,

Mercedes

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Adamswifey_xo
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM
BUMP
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emily123456
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM
I had to take methadome while I was pregnant with my lil girl she is 16 months heathy and very smart. I breast freed her because the doctor said in case she had some meds in her but she didn't .
soaringflutes
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I have suffered from depression and anxiety as well, but luckily, I'm doing very well while pregnant, and don't have to take meds for it.

I think you also need to consider how badly you might do without the medications while pregnant.  A sick mom is no good to her unborn baby, since these illnesses you have can affect your sleep, eating, and personal safety!

Although it's true that they don't do drug studies on pregnant women, there can still be information on them available.  Pharmacists are a good resource too, as well as psychiatrists.

I don't know how it will turn out for you...but asking lots of questions is a good idea, as you are doing.  Chances are you and your baby will be just fine.  Happy pregnancy!

mushmom
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM
It's a balance between what is best for mom and what is safe for baby. When I was pg 3 yrs ago, I went on prozac for anxiety. Now they don't prescribe it during pregnancy anymore. I would be consult with an ob but also a psychiatrist.
Adamswifey_xo
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Thanks, everyone and myself think i would be better and healthy on my meds so i don't get so upset and stress. It just worries me. I talked to my regular Dr bout it already and i got my first ob doc tomorrow i'm 9weeks today. So, we will be talking with him bout it and see what he says.

Quoting soaringflutes:

I have suffered from depression and anxiety as well, but luckily, I'm doing very well while pregnant, and don't have to take meds for it.

I think you also need to consider how badly you might do without the medications while pregnant.  A sick mom is no good to her unborn baby, since these illnesses you have can affect your sleep, eating, and personal safety!

Although it's true that they don't do drug studies on pregnant women, there can still be information on them available.  Pharmacists are a good resource too, as well as psychiatrists.

I don't know how it will turn out for you...but asking lots of questions is a good idea, as you are doing.  Chances are you and your baby will be just fine.  Happy pregnancy!

Adamswifey_xo
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I'm taking Zyprexa know i just don't know if theres a safer one for me to be on while pregnant and everyone including myself thinks i should stay on it so i don't get so upset and stressed. I have my first Dr apt with OB tomorrow so we will talk to him and she what he says about it. thanks

Quoting mushmom:

It's a balance between what is best for mom and what is safe for baby. When I was pg 3 yrs ago, I went on prozac for anxiety. Now they don't prescribe it during pregnancy anymore. I would be consult with an ob but also a psychiatrist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)