• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Jaylah is here!!! *all natural hospital birth story and pic heavy***

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 29 Replies
6 moms liked this

 So, I had been in the hospital at 36 weeks 2 days with preterm labor. I had consistent contractions, 2 to 3 minutes apart. They kept me in L&D to monitor them for 3 days. My cervix never changed, so they sent me home, still having contractions, to wait for my water to break or things to get more intense.

Fastforward to 37 weeks 1 day pregnant, monday March 4th. I had my weekly OB appointment. When I got my cervical check things were exactly the same, except this time her head was engaged, and so low he said he didnt know how I could walk. He told me to make my 38 week appointment, but he didnt expect I would make it that long... boy was he right!

After my appointment, my mother in law and I decided to go to walmart to stock up on the last minute things I would need before going into the hospital. This was about 3:30. We walked around, getting the food, and headed back toward the baby section. We looked around for a while, when I noticed my contractions picking up. My MIL said to keep walking, and to time them, just incase. We walked around for a while more, and they started getting more and more intense. I also felt like I was leaking a bit...

We decided to check out. She drove my son and I home, but decided to stay there untill my husband got home, incase she needed to take our son back with her. My husband got home a half hour later, and the contractions were 3 minutes apart and pretty intense. I called my OB and they told me to come in, knowing my history :)

We got everything ready, and this time when I said goodbye to my son, I cried, because something in me just told me this was it, our last day as a 3 person family. Riding in the car was a pain, I had to push my seat way up and hold my stomach for support during contractions.

We got to the hospital, just as my OB did (I have a group of OB's at my practice). She grabbed me a wheelchair and we got on the elevator to go upstairs. She was rubbing my stomach, and saying that these seemed pretty intense!

They put me in triage, and hooked me up to the monitors temporarily. When they checked me, I had dialated a half centimeter more than my appointment, and thinned out 30 percent more.

They monitored my contractions for about an hour, and then they did the amniotic fluid test, which came back "inconclusive". They decided to admit me and see what happens.

I was able to walk for a while, and was only monitored intermittently which was nice. My doctor came in around 11 to check me again, and I was a centimeter more (4 1/2) and 90 percent effaced. Right after she checked me, my water GUSHED everywhere. There was so much! It filled my Ugg slippers (gross, I know!!) My contractions started getting more intense about 20 minutes after that. I got on the birthing ball and breathed through them. My husband rubbed my back, and my best friend massaged my palms. They were so, so supportive. At about 2am, my contractions were extremely strong, but spaced about 5 minutes apart. The doctor decided to give me pitocin ( I did NOT want this, but I didnt have the strength to argue). My contractions started coming at only 1 damn minute apart after this, and were off the scale. They hurt so bad, I was yelling. I know this was a waste of my energy, but I literally could not help it. I was the only delivery happening that night, so I had two nurses in there helping me breathe and cope, as well as my husband and best friend. They helped me switch positions, and walk. They let me lean on them. They let me scream.

At about 4:30 am, I told them I just couldnt take it anymore. I needed the epidural. They asked if thats what I really wanted.... one contraction later I was screaming yes! They paged the anestesiologist. They laid me down to check me before he got in, and I was between 6 and 7cm, and 100 percent effaced. They sat me up and I started shaking and throwing up. They sat me on the edge of the bed to prep me, and I told them that I had this enormous pressure, I couldnt breathe, she was gonna come out, NOW! They laid me back down, and I was at 9cm! That fast! They told me they were going to start setting things up. The table was across the room, with the sheet still over it. The nurses paged the doctor. They turned their backs.... and my body started pushing! Not even a minute later, I screamed, her head is out! The nurse looked over her shoulder, and goes, holy shit, the head is out!!!! The other nurse started frantically paging the doctor.... 30 seconds later, I pushed her body out (this hurt worse than the head to me!!!) . This was on the bed, not broken down, no instruments ready, no doctor. The nurse had to run across the room to catch her. There wasnt time for pictures (which upsets me a bit :P). We delayed the cord clamping and cutting, untill the cord stopped pulsing. Everyone was quiet, and I asked if the baby was ok. They said, yes, she is, we are just in shock! Lol. Then I made them double check that she was a girl ;D My placenta was delivered about 10 minutes later. I didnt need one single stitch. And I was so proud I got through it naturally!

Baby Jaylah was born at 4:41 am, 5 pounds 12 ounces, 19 1/2 inches long at 37 weeks 2days.

Shortly after she was born, we noticed she was breathing strange, and she ended up in the NICU. She had a tube to suck the air out of her stomach, and oxygen the first day. They also noticed her white cell count was low, which meant infection so she had to get an IV. Everything cleared itself up, and she was only in the NICU 2 days. We went home on friday. She is an AMAZING nurser, things are so much easier this time around! She is also already lifting her head. We all love her so much!

Pic time!

 Meeting big brother for the first time :)

 2 days post partum, and I am 18 pounds LESS than my pre- pregnancy weight :D

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Congrats!! she's super cute. 

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM

awwwwwwww congrats on your new bundle of joy!!!! Great job :)

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Just beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this us!

(P.S. You look fantastic!)

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
What a cutie she is. Congratulations. I hope to deliver this baby with no epidural but to be honest I'm afraid of the pain lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Congrats! Glad to hear things cleared up and she's home safe =0) She's adorable and you look great!

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
What a great story!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Beautiful baby!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I hate you and your perfect pp body... In the nicest way possible. Lolol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)