Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Naming my daughter "My Pillow"

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 16 Replies

..................................................................................................

..................................................................................................................

.................................................................................................

.............................................................................................................

surprised

......................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................................

..................................................................................

Not really LOL But I went to a Women's Conference today and meant a young lady (BEAUTIFUL young lady) from Africa. And when asked her name she looked SOOOO embarrassed to tell us. So reluctantly she shared "My name is My Pillow" We all chuckled of coarse asking her if she was serious. And she was.  Her American name was MyPillow, which was her African name (The first of 5 very long, very hard names to say) The next question asked of her was what the significance of the name was? Why was she named such a interesting name? And she had this priceless look on her face! That look like "My parents where nutts, cruel, had a horrific sense of humor, or all of the above" LOL It was very neat to meet this girl, and talk with her! But it got me thinking.....how many odd names have I heard before (This certainly wasn't the first) and what is it that makes parents name their children this? So what are some of the most interesting children's names you have heard? And what is your take on giving odd names to children?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARMYWife624
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Personally i like odd names. Not all of them though. My niece's name is Anyaka pronounced on-uh-kuh. Her sister's name is Zacari pronounced Zuh-car-ee. My son's name was supposed to be Azarius which is Hebrew. It ended up being Isaiah. Lol this baby will have an "odd" name.
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
My niece is Azarius! She is named after my husband.

Quoting ARMYWife624:

Personally i like odd names. Not all of them though. My niece's name is Anyaka pronounced on-uh-kuh. Her sister's name is Zacari pronounced Zuh-car-ee. My son's name was supposed to be Azarius which is Hebrew. It ended up being Isaiah. Lol this baby will have an "odd" name.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I don't think Azarius or Isaiah are bad at all LOL, but I LOVE biblical names so that may be why HAHA!! I am considering Coyia for a girl! Zacari is actually really pretty, may have to add that to the list LOL. No I meant like really odd. Like My Pillow, or I new a lady who named her boy My Life. And I have a cousin named My Angel. Like really odd LOL

I like different unusual names. My Son's are Malachi and Xavier, and my daugter is Laylah-Marie

Quoting ARMYWife624:

brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM

If I was her, I'd go by something else.

I dont know why parent give their children super weird names. We like uncommon names, but names you've heard of before, know how to spell, and know the gender of.

ame0608
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend whose parents named her (no joking) Sandra Beach. And yes, she goes by Sandy. 

The funniest part is that I knew her for TWO YEARS before someone pointed out the irony in this name. 

I'll tell you what, though, I don't think a lot of people could pull that name off. She does it beautifully :)

VintageWife
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM
lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Spring.Mom
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I am a cake decorator and feel bad for some of the kids I am making a cake for. It is so hard for me to not ask the parent what they were thinking when they were naming their child.... 

sissy852
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
my cousin is naming her son Zayne. And my name is narcissa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM
My mom says my kids have hippy names Skye and Brooke people might think its strange once they really think about it but no one does in passing.i have heard some interesting names like when people make their child's name a royal title like prince etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Is her name spelled mypillow, or just sounds like mypillow? 

I know a girl from Ethiopia, her name is Mitne. Sounds like mitten. But it's short for Mitnework. And she has 4 other long names that I can't remember.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN