Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Has this happened to anyone else? (US question and concern) (piog)

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

I'm pregnant with my 4th baby, due October 31st. On Friday, I had an ultrasound. I was 6 weeks, 1 day, but measuring 5 weeks, 2 days. All we saw was a sac. No baby. No heartbeat. Nothing. She assured me it was normal, since I was only measuring a little over 5 weeks, and set me up with another ultrasound on the 20th, so we can see if there's a baby in there yet. She did mention a possible ectopic pregnancy, and told me signs to look for in case I am in fact having one. 

I have multiple pregnancy symptoms - fatigue, frequent urination, moodiness, bloating, etc. I feel just like I did with my other 3, but I can't help but be a little worried. At one point during the ultrasound, she did say she THOUGHT she saw baby parts, but she said she wasn't sure.

I'm trying not to stress. With my other 3, I never had an ultrasound that early. Has anyone else only seen a sac at their first ultrasound, and then had one 2 weeks later and saw a healthy baby?

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
123MomAmy
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM
A lot of other moms have posted similar concerns early in pregnancy and everything turned out to be fine :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I had to have an ultra sound at around 8 weeks because of kidney stones. I was also super sick, so they wanted to make sure I was not having twins. We were able to see him, but only because his was pinging around like a Mexican jumping bean. lol He was so tiny, that if he had not been moving around, we probably would have missed him. Don't stress, yet. Doctors need to cover their butts and they also generally prepare you for the absolute worst. Good luck and keep us updated!

Amycapl
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

a friend of mine at work had the same thing happen to her!  most of the time an us that early won't show a baby.  That's why most practices won't even SEE you till you're about 8 weeks :)  i'd be willing to bet that everything is totally fine and sometime by the end of October, you'll be holding your sweet baby :)

CafeMom Tickers
Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

it happens all the time, there is nothing to worry about yet

40sandPreg
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I had a 6 week ultrasound - gestational age 4 weeks. I had a sac, but it was definitaly implanted in my uterus.
All was well - I'm 25 weeks now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

It's normal not to see anything that early. I'm sure there will be a baby visible at your next appointment.

AFleming22710
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

See, that's where she confused me. We saw a sac in my uterus. But yet she kept talking about an ectopic pregnancy. If the sac was in my uterus then it wouldn't be an ectopic, correct?

Quoting 40sandPreg:

I had a 6 week ultrasound - gestational age 4 weeks. I had a sac, but it was definitaly implanted in my uterus.
All was well - I'm 25 weeks now.

maof1soon2b2
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Maybe you were having twins and the one sac is in the way of the other one. A friend of mine had 2 baby's then a few wks later just one but the sac was still there. Not sure from there she is in another state now and busy I guess. Good luck though!

TTC2Long
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM

At that gestational age, the baby is the size of a poppy seed. Many docs won't do an u/s before 8-10 weeks because they don't want to freak women out for no reason. You saw the sac, so I don't know why they'd even mention ectopic. That makes no sense. Unless you were tracking ovulation with thorough charts, your dates could very well be slightly off. Also women gestate for different lengths, some fertilized eggs take a little longer to make the trip down to the uterus and implant... All that will add up. Don't stress. They did the u/s too early.

kelly617
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I didn't....I didn't have my first U/S til I was almost 7wks...but a LOT of ladies in my DD group (sept 2013) had early U/S and saw what you saw
A sac is exactly what you'd expect to see at only 5wks...I'm sure when you go back in on the 20th there will be a baby and a heartbeat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN