Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question for the Vegetarian/Vegan mommies

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 27 Replies

I was a vegetarian for a couple years before getting pregnant with DD (1st pregnancy) but then I started craving steak to the point of almost insanity LOL. So I caved and ate meat the rest of my pregnancy. 

I went vegetarian again after having her and was veggie when I got pregnant with my son. Again, started craving meat and caved. This time it took me a long while to go back to veggie. I actually didn't go back to being vegetarian until this past June, then decided to go vegan a month later. 

I'm currently pregnant with #3 and have stuck with the vegan diet so far. I'm pushing so hard to stay vegan this time around! Lol 

So my question is: how do you get enough protein during your pregnancy? I already eat a lot of beans/legumes, drink a good amount of almond milk and the Silk protein fruit drink, and eat a lot of peanut butter. Is there anything else that you added to your diet to get more protein? I was thinking of a vegan protein shake, but I'd have to ask if they're safe during pregnancy.

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM

bump

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure. We have so many food allergies that veg/vegan wouldn't ever be an option. 

Is tofu vegan? I have no clue. There's a local restaurant here that makes a vegan burger.. it's all nut, sunflower, etc products. 

If you're getting tired of peanut butter, try almond butter as an alternative. I adore it! I know dark green veggies have a lot of protein (cooked spinach, peas, french beans, kale, etc), hemp protein powder in smoothies is a good option, as well as quinoa. :)

Amycapl
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this

tofu is soy beans. they are vegan :)  our conceived need for protien is wildly exaggerated.  sounds to me like you're getting plenty.  I am 17 weeks pregnant, vegan and all is well so far :)  the only thing i make sure to get is B12. We use the Red Star brand nutritional yeast which has B12 in it.  Have you read The China Study?  Talks a lot about protein and how much one actually needs as opposed to what the current food pyramid would have us think.  There's also a book called Becoming Vegan that has a seciton on pregnancy nutrition.  

CafeMom Tickers
tinka_pixie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I know how you feel, It's been a struggle. I added lots of nuts to my diet, a full cup a day. don't worry about the fats, they will become straight energy when pregnant or working out.add lots of vegan cheese (some are actually pretty good!) tofu if you can, flax seed can be added to many means like oatmeal or anything baked, and has a bit of protein. I do soy milk and almond milk too, so that is good that you're already doint that. The biggest protein change I was able to make was switching to Quinoa flour. they sell it at most grocery stores in the health section and it's almost all protein, the same you would get from a girant glass of milk. Now imagine every bread item you ate being your serving of protein. That's a big difference! I know that means making your own bread etc, but if you feel to lazy, go to the health food store, and find ready made breads made of Quinoa.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
Heather2001
by Heather on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

It's not just the protein you need to worry about.  There are vitamins in meat (B12 and glutamine are just two off the top of my head) that you need to supplement because a vegan diet doesn't supply the needed amounts. 

Heather2001
by Heather on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I looooove almond butter!!!

Quoting Pandapanda:

I'm not sure. We have so many food allergies that veg/vegan wouldn't ever be an option. 

Is tofu vegan? I have no clue. There's a local restaurant here that makes a vegan burger.. it's all nut, sunflower, etc products. 

If you're getting tired of peanut butter, try almond butter as an alternative. I adore it! I know dark green veggies have a lot of protein (cooked spinach, peas, french beans, kale, etc), hemp protein powder in smoothies is a good option, as well as quinoa. :)

IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this
No clue here's a bump :) good luck!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma_gig
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Yes, tofu is vegan. I actually eat it quite a bit lol. I really need to try quinoa. I know a lot of my friends eat it and love it, but I've never tried it for whatever reason lol.

Quoting Pandapanda:

pregnancy

momma_gig
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't heard of the China Study or Becoming Vegan. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

Quoting Amycapl:

tofu is soy beans. they are vegan :)  our conceived need for protien is wildly exaggerated.  sounds to me like you're getting plenty.  I am 17 weeks pregnant, vegan and all is well so far :)  the only thing i make sure to get is B12. We use the Red Star brand nutritional yeast which has B12 in it.  Have you read The China Study?  Talks a lot about protein and how much one actually needs as opposed to what the current food pyramid would have us think.  There's also a book called Becoming Vegan that has a seciton on pregnancy nutrition.  

pregnancy

momma_gig
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the tip! Sounds like I need a trip to Whole Foods :)

Quoting tinka_pixie:

I know how you feel, It's been a struggle. I added lots of nuts to my diet, a full cup a day. don't worry about the fats, they will become straight energy when pregnant or working out.add lots of vegan cheese (some are actually pretty good!) tofu if you can, flax seed can be added to many means like oatmeal or anything baked, and has a bit of protein. I do soy milk and almond milk too, so that is good that you're already doint that. The biggest protein change I was able to make was switching to Quinoa flour. they sell it at most grocery stores in the health section and it's almost all protein, the same you would get from a girant glass of milk. Now imagine every bread item you ate being your serving of protein. That's a big difference! I know that means making your own bread etc, but if you feel to lazy, go to the health food store, and find ready made breads made of Quinoa.

pregnancy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)