Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh... So had my group b strep test done at my 36 week appointment this past Thursday. Just got an email today from my doctor that it came back positive. Ugh =\ 

I tested negative with my first, so this is all so new to me.

she said if I am to labor, (I'm a VBAC), I'll have an IV of penicillin and it'll take care of it. So what does this mean for my labor?

I planned on laboring at home as long as I could. Do I need to go in ASAP? Probably need to if my water breaks right? (it broke first with DS1).

I'm going to discuss everything with my doctor when I see her this Thursday but, just wanted some thoughts and advice from ladies here who have been through it. 

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Replies (11-12):
MommiesPNut
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Would you suggest probiotic pills or a food/drink? I know yogurt is really good in probiotics but I'm lactose intolerant and can't have it. 

Quoting NoraDun:

I highly suggest getting probiotics. This can actually fix the problem! I personally would do it for a week and then ask to be retested. Having an IV during labor is a pain, and often times give the nurses and Drs just enough of an excuse to keep you in bed. Also research it, you would be shocked what you will find that says antibiotics do no good anyway!

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Probiotics in a pill are much more effective. The yogurt would take more time to work. But the pills will work faster, and more efficiently. Given your weekage, I highly suggest it. There is actually a rinse you can use too...I will try to fine the name. But as far as the probiotics the pills are more expensive...I wanna say $40 for a month supply, maybe $30. But you would only need one, and again it helps. You can get them at any drug store!! If more women knew about probiotics they could prevent ever having strep B. Its definately good stuff....for many reasons!

Quoting MommiesPNut:

Would you suggest probiotic pills or a food/drink? I know yogurt is really good in probiotics but I'm lactose intolerant and can't have it. 

Quoting NoraDun:

I highly suggest getting probiotics. This can actually fix the problem! I personally would do it for a week and then ask to be retested. Having an IV during labor is a pain, and often times give the nurses and Drs just enough of an excuse to keep you in bed. Also research it, you would be shocked what you will find that says antibiotics do no good anyway!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured