Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Possibly losing my job bc I'm pregnant

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:50 AM
  • 10 Replies
I'm a groomer and have been grooming for 10 years. I've been with company for 5 years, since they opened their doors. When I started I brought my clients, but they had around two dogs a week. Now, I'm booked constantly 2 weeks out, 4 around the holidays. My husband works there on Saturdays, more as a favor to me. I told my boss as soon as I found I was pregnant bc I had to stop grooming cats and crazy big dogs. They were fine with it, my husband took them over. Well 2 weeks at 21 weeks I went into preterm labor. My doctor put me on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. Their goal for me is 28 weeks. I'm now 23 weeks. They don't think I'll go further. Well I was told everything would be fine, I'd have my job when I got back, I'm a great employee etc. They said they were going to try to get a temporary groomer just to take over while I was out. Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail stating that, they are not legally obligated to keep my job and are hiring a full time groomer. It also said they would try to still have a position open blah blah blah. Apparently, even though this chain has 10 places, bc there is not 50 employees in a 75 mike radius, they don't have to go by FMLA. I was so upset, crying my eyes out. I put 110% into my work. My clients are more my friends, and I truly love the dogs. I had no clue I would be treated this way. Is this even legal? For goodness sakes, my husband is still there trying to help while I'm gone! I was out a month last year, workers comp, I had hurt my shoulder and no one came in. They all waited. The poor temporary groomer was back down to 2 a week. So I'm sorry of this sounds bad but I hope it happens again. I've already had people call me to find out what's going on. Sorry I know its long but had to vent

Update: I know it has been a while but a lot has happened. I'm still pregnant :) my job recently hired another groomer and are terminating me june 11. My baby is due July 11. Today my boss and I talked and she said she wants me to reapply immediately when I can come back. Its a real 180. It really took me by surprise. Later today we found out we got aprroved to open a shop of our own! I am so excited and so scared. We have been praying for this for a long time. I love my clients and appreciate getting calls almost everyday. Thank you to everyone for suggesting opening something on our own. We should open the end of august. :) Don't know how to tell my job. Kinda nervous about it. Apparantly the new groomer has little to no grooms booked yet my husband is booked until the end of july with a waiting list a mile long. Please continue to pray for us. Its a scary thing to open a shop.
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinka_pixie
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM

For most states, it is legal. I'm a hairdresser, and have been through the same. with my first, my DS, I told the salon right away, and by the end of the week, they had cut me out of the schedule, despite me being good, having my own clients, etc.

Then most recently, with this pregnancy, I knew better than to tell the salon I was working for (but only because it was another franchise) so I waited as long as I could, and then quit. It's sad that it has to happen that way, but it seems to just be part of the field. I have thought many times about going into grooming, but it sounds like i'd be dealing with the same.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
Megan11587
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM
It depends where you live. I'd consult a lawyer. Most will give you a free consultation to see if you have a case.
nduwie
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:44 AM
That's unfair
Loosing ur job jus bc u preg
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vcoskey
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it's legal. FMLA only applies when there are 75+ employees...and it still only covers 12 weeks per year (which you will end up exceeding, anyway I'm sure - between bed rest and a preemie).

The system sucks and I swear it's designed more to cover employers than employees - and I say that honestly even as a small business owner myself.

Your best bet? When you get back on your feet, find a new spot to groom and call your old clients. I'm willing to bet they'll come running to where you are!

Good luck with the pregnancy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahMommie
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Not only would I never go back to work there I would call every client let them know what happened most will follow you when you do go back to work somewhere else! They will regret loosing you.
mlg1989
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I read your story in MC. It sucks but they are allowed to do that in some cases.
pacificamom
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

bad

kimmie3577
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

i would still call FMLA because they should still cover you. if that was what was written in the letter then that is coming from you boss, dont listen alot of bosses dont want poeple on fmla they just rather hire new people so get a hold of someone in fmla go online and fill out the paper work they have to except it

manda2391
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM
My Job did this to me. But my supervisor was trying to get me out of there any way. She cut my hours 2 months before i was going on leave. Then she was telling other coworkers, i was lazy, and everytime she sees me in sitting down eating and if i keep eating in not going to fit through the door. Telling me i want drink unless i was on my break. Said that i couldn't take my leave because it wasn't in the handbook. And it was, but then they pulled the door have 50 employees, which was not in the handbook. Told me that when i go to take my leave, i could take it but they couldn't grantee me a spot for when i was to go back, id have to go though the hiring process all over again, and that's not saying id get a job. And to top it off, i had 100hrs of vacation time i was going to use, but they said they would only pay me for 80 of it.
blessedbyGod141
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Wow, That's horrible! I'm sorry.. I hope you found a better job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN