Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Low, dull constant cramping..... what to do?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:31 AM
  • 12 Replies
I'm 32 1/2 weeks... over the last two days I have noticed an increasingly irritating cramping going on... like a bad period cramp but it never comes and goes..... its just gettiing more pronounced and bothersome. Is it Braxton Hicks? I thought those mimicked regular (or irregular, as it were) contractions. If I can't judge or measure coming and going and frequency, how do I know when to go in?

I have a history of preterm delivery (ds1 was 36 weeks and ds2 was 35 weeks) but both those times it was a very pronounced and sudden onset of readable contractions that I was able to measure and go accordingly.

Should I worry or call? Thanks in advance for any input. My next prenatal is 3/29 but if this gets any worse I feel compelled to say something.. unless I'm being an alarmist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nolanzo
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Whee! My first featured post! :)

Now help me, I'm dyin' over here, lol

Kidding... but please, any experiences you'd like to share or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I toggle between 'being paranoid and overreactive' and knowing that, with my other two, it happened both times earlier than it should have, so.... I don't know what to do.
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I never had that, I had some back pain from the baby sitting in an odd spot.  See if the suggestions for stopping contractions helps.  Feet up, lots of water, take it easy.  If it continues you should call.  If you call first Im guessing they will tell you to put your feet up and drink water anyway.  Just get a start to the next step! 

Alsiebelle
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I am 39 weeks and have been experiencing many cramps as well. I talked to my midwife and she explained that in my case its probably my cervix softening, warming up to practice contractions or dilating. Some women begin softening or dilating up to a whole 10 weeks early. But abdominal cramping should always be discussed with your doctor before 37 weeks...
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call, since you have a history of preterm labor.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I agree with this. If nothing is alleviating the pain or intensity, you should be checked out. 8)

Quoting Pandapanda:

I would call, since you have a history of preterm labor.

-mamas-
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I went in for preterm labor at 35wks and they said the first sign is period like cramping.

I would definitely call or just go in so you can be checked.
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this

The constant cramping is normal for me at the end of my pregnancies. You may be dehydrated though, that often causes cramping. Drink a lot and see if that helps. If not, call just to be safe.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd call in and see what the doc says. They might have you come in to be monitored or do some tests. GL.

Vcoskey
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
If I were you, is drink 12 oz of water every 15 minutes for an hour, sitting with feet up. If the pain is not lessened, call ASAP. I had the same thing and called doc - they told me to do that and it worked. For me, not enough fluid causes cramping/pain. If it doesn't go away though, CALL. Cramping this late isn't a good sign regardless!
Good luck!
candicefield
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
The same thing started happening to me today and I am 31 weeks on Monday. I think he dropped today.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN