Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question for formula feeding mom's..Need some advice..

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

At the hospital they had the little ready to feed bottles,and he would drink those fine.When we got home we switched to powder,and he drinks it just fine too.The difference I saw is,that he does not poop for like a couple of days,so we gave him two feedings of the ready to feed kind.And the next day he pooped all day long.TMI,I know. :-) Now he's been having powdered again for a couple of days,no pooping happening.Is there really such a difference between the two?Plus the other problem is,last night we tried giving him the ready to feed kind again,and he seemed super hungry and fussy afterwards and would not stop screaming,like he wanted more even though he already had his 2.5 to 3 oz. Which is a lot already..It seemed to leave him hungry..With the powdered kind he seems content after the same amount,but he goes without pooping...So I am at a loss at the moment...I kinda wanna stick with just one kind and not go back and forth after last nights scream fest. Anyone noticed any difference between ready to feed and powdered?I thought it was supposed to be the same...

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

How much formula are you mixing into the water? Are you using tap water for the powdered formula? What brand of formula are you using?

Devious103102
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Are you mixing it right? Putting enough water? Is it the exact same brand? 

Randi02
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I have never formula fed, but there are differences between powdered and ready to feed/concentrate formulas.

Unfortunately, constipation/gas/pain are side effects of any formula. It's hard on their little bodies so I would go with what is working for him and stop using powdered formula for a while.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Are you using warm water? That really helped my oldest go poop.

SarahMommie
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Just for the record babies don't have to poop everyday. In fact even some breast fed babies go several days without going(my kids always went after every feeding BUT I had two friends who's children didn't) there is no difference in pre-mixed or the kind you mix unless you aren't adding enough water/or too much powder ect. If you follow the directions you should be fine. Newborns could be sensitive to the bubbles mixing your own formula causes and in that case let it sit for a minute before you give it. Also the problem could be that you are using the pre-mixed nipple and a different bottle for powder and one of the bottles are letting in too much air causing gas. Good luck it is a guessing game but you will get it:-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littleschatzi
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

How much formula are you mixing into the water? Are you using tap water for the powdered formula? What brand of formula are you using?

I am using nursery water,and I follow the directions on the package,try to scoop as accurately as possible.And it's Enfamil Newborn.

littleschatzi
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Quoting Devious103102:

Are you mixing it right? Putting enough water? Is it the exact same brand? 

I do...4oz of water,and two scoops,which I try to get as accurate as possible.Both ready to feed and powder are Enfamil Newborn.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Try speaking to your pediatrician. It sounds like it's not a compatible formula for your baby if you're doing everythign else correctly.

Quoting littleschatzi:

Quoting Pandapanda:

I am using nursery water,and I follow the directions on the package,try to scoop as accurately as possible.And it's Enfamil Newborn.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
littleschatzi
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Quoting SarahMommie:

Just for the record babies don't have to poop everyday. In fact even some breast fed babies go several days without going(my kids always went after every feeding BUT I had two friends who's children didn't) there is no difference in pre-mixed or the kind you mix unless you aren't adding enough water/or too much powder ect. If you follow the directions you should be fine. Newborns could be sensitive to the bubbles mixing your own formula causes and in that case let it sit for a minute before you give it. Also the problem could be that you are using the pre-mixed nipple and a different bottle for powder and one of the bottles are letting in too much air causing gas. Good luck it is a guessing game but you will get it:-)

Maybe it's a nipple thing,the ready to feed ones come with those disposable nipples,and he seems to blow right through those and then still seems fussy and hungry.With the regular bottles it takes him longer and he seems more content and sleepy after.

littleschatzi
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

Try speaking to your pediatrician. It sounds like it's not a compatible formula for your baby if you're doing everythign else correctly.

Quoting littleschatzi:

Quoting Pandapanda:

He has a check up on wednesday..I'll ask then.Guess I'll see how long he'll go without pooping.We're on day 2 so far,and then bring it up at the appt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN