Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pap & STD tests

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM
  • 39 Replies

My former foster sister is about 10 weeks pregnant.  She's 28 years old & never had a pap smear or STD test done.  She saw the dr. on Thursday & had urine and bloodwork done.  I had Kaiser with both my pregnancies & a pap or something along those lines was done during my 1st visit at 6 weeks.  Is that something that any of you have had done?  She doesn't see the dr. again for 3 weeks.

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
September2013
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Yes i had a pap at 6 weeks maybe even 7 or 8 i was early in pregnancy tho.. Blood work also had that done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:50 AM
That's what I thought. I found it odd that this didn't seem to be something the dr. was planning on doing. I know with her insurance she needs authorization for everything but it still seemed odd that he didn't seem to think she needed one.
Quoting September2013:

Yes i had a pap at 6 weeks maybe even 7 or 8 i was early in pregnancy tho.. Blood work also had that done.
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

They weren't going to do my pap smear and things until I was...I think I was around 10 or 13 weeks. They didn't do it then because I had a low lying placenta but that's around when I got it done with both of my daughters as well. 6-9 weeks was just the initial bloodwork.

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
At my drs office the first appointment is always just paperwork and confirmation of pregnancy. Then the next appointment is the PAP and blood work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kman88
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I got a pap at my first appt, I was 9 weeks!

Mommabearbergh
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't get a pap right away first one we met the midwife they confirmed my pregnancy next appt when I hit twelve weeks she did the internal etc
cadkins07
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Every pregnancy with the exception of this one because of my placenta previa/acreta i have had a pap smear i even had to have a std test done this time also because thats the law here.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Nope, never had it done. I only had my second with a Dr and she was going to and I told her nope. I had one 9 months before. So there was no reason to at all.

WishingAway
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I didn't get it done until my 2nd appointment. I was 12.4 weeks. 

September2013
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
That's weird.. Bc woman NEED to atleast have blood work done. Do u know when her last pap was? Bc if she had one maybe she doesn't need one until another 3yrs. Idk if a pap is as serious as the blood work, bc in the blood work they check for alot of things. Maybe try pushing the issue, or saying u want one. But some doc. Dnt do the pap bc if it comes back abnormal, depending what it is. they really cnt do anything until the baby gets here.. I may be wrong but I've heard that. Yeah, that's really weird

Quoting mommy2cristian:

That's what I thought. I found it odd that this didn't seem to be something the dr. was planning on doing. I know with her insurance she needs authorization for everything but it still seemed odd that he didn't seem to think she needed one.

Quoting September2013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)