Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

May have a problem here, Crib VS Pack N Play?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:14 AM
  • 38 Replies

I've been shopping for cribs now for weeks. The crib I had for my last,(8 years ago) had metal kick bars underneath to drop down the sides. I'm very short and HAVE to have the sides drop down. But I've been shopping cribs and it doesn't seem like they make any with dropping sides anymore. Does anyone know why?

Well, and so I'm thinking, If I can't find one, I may be reduced to using a Pack N Play in place of a crib. Has anyone else used a Pack N Play as the primary sleeping bed for their baby? Are the pads very thick?

Thanks for any advise!

***UPDATE***

Thanks for everyones help! I looked them up at babies r us, and they aren't called travel mattresses. so for anyone else who might be in my situation, they are called portable mattresses. they have a cheap 2 inch one, a 4 inch, and a 6 inch one which is actually labeled  a mini crib mattress, but fits perfectly inside a pack n play. im so excited to have found these and sheets and bedding sets to fit them too!

thanks everyone!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OkieOBRN
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I did. But it was because i was poor and thats all i had. It worked fine. Average firm pad..he was comfy and safe. Used it til he moved to a bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michelalove
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:26 AM

drop down bars have been removed because of it harming children, they say babies can get limbs stuck in between the slates and the side can drop so they can't be drop down anymore. 

we already got our daughters crib but we are also getting her a pack n' play for when she is a newborn so that she is in my room, we don't want too cosleep, too dangerous for us. 

nicole2884
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Personally wouldn't do a p n p long term its not the best support

They dont have drop bars instead the bed can be adjusted to two levels.
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM

drop side cribs are now illegal to make, buy, or sell.

JadeTigr7
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I didn't bother with a crib this time around.  My kids don't move into a crib anyways until after the age of 1, so really there's no point.  The one crib we had for our oldest (bought 9 years ago) is now my girls' full size bed.

All my kids bed-shared for the first 6 months at least, and then slept in the pnp until somewhere between 1 year to 18 months, and then they moved to the crib.  This time our daughter will just stay in the pnp until she moves into the room with her sisters. 

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM
We have a drop side crib that we got as a hand me down. We put pvc pipes on the legs so the sides don't drop.

The cribs have been recalled and if you really want one you'd have to ask around to family and friends to find one. We use the pack and play for naps and traveling. We used it as a beef for ds for about 6 weeks until we got the crib though.

I say get a regular crib and a study step stool
SarahMommie
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I use a drop side crib still I am also short:-) I found one on Craigslist and just secured all the hardware on the dropping part it works fine. I'd like to note that I also never had a baby and I have three with one on the way;-) that got "stuck" in the crib. My three year old however did stick her head through or try to and got stuck but it did no damage to her lol IMO they discontinued the drop sides because people are sue happy and didn't check their used cribs hardware and something that was well used malfunctioned. Anywhoo until the baby is big enough to sit up and easier to grab out of a crib they make nowadays I think a pack n play would be fine. I used a side sleeper with my last baby and it was like a mini pack n play that sits right next to my bed for 5 months :-) good luck mama!
MommyRJ
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM
You probably won't find a drop side anywhere. They were all recalled. For safety.

But the height adjustments make the mattress pretty high
brittany208
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Pack and play pads are NOT thick. Nowhere near as comfy as a crib

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I use a pack and play the first 6 months. If needed when they are in our room. Mainly for naps. We co-sleep. They have not made those in a long time. Issues with baby getting caught in them. I had one that had part of the side go down and have to use a stool. Because I am short too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN