Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Agree or Not

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:41 AM
  • 23 Replies
Ladies I am bashing no one here but should woman who knows they are pregnant and yet still drink alcohol,smoke and take part in any substance harmful to the baby be called MURDERER'S????for killing the young lifes healthy and stable mental life style or even a healthy and stable life in the future???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
September2013
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Some ppl even smoke cigarettes while pregnant... I personally don't do any harmful to my baby.. I believe it's irresponsible if ur going to drink n stuff while pregnant.. But thats just me.
Babes2626
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Just my opinion I think it's irresponsible to do those things while pregnant. It's a small sacrifice to give your baby the best, healthiest chance at life.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

To quite smoking actually can be not good for them when pregnant and the same with a lot of drugs. It is better to cut down. I have learned this from studies done on tv, magazines and online articles too. It can be worse for baby is they stop.Yes it is ideal to stop before you become pregnant but sometimes that does not happen. I am not saying it is right. But we all have to do what is best for baby with the advice from our Dr/Ob/Midwife's.

Some women will hear or told it is safe to drink some wines when pregnant. I personally think it is not safe at all. But they do what they feel they Dr told them is safe.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM
to each their own. doctors say drinking wine is safe, some do it. Id never take that chance.
people smoke, nothing we can do about it. i think its disgusting.
doesnt mean they are unfit parents.
they just do things differently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
My OB told me it was better to drink a small (4 oz) glass of wine to tone down prodromal labor so I could get some sleep than to be THAT exhausted and stressed all the time. My daughter is fine.

Marijuana has saved babies lives in cases of HG, and it has never been proven to be harmful.

My friend quit smoking cold turkey upon finding out she was pregnant. She lost the baby. Of course, with that stress she started again. She also got pregnant again quickly. This time she cut down slowly, and her child is a happy healthy 8 year old now.

I realize in many cases they are being selfish, but it's just not as cut and dry as all of that.
And treating pregnant women as non-people, just incubators, is no good either. I was in a LOT of pain my second pregnancy. Ended up needing to take painkillers that could have had my baby going thru withdrawal after he was born (he didn't, it didn't seem to affect him, thankfully). If only my baby's rights mattered, and not mine, I could have been forced to live in agony. Do you think that would have been better.
MichaelsMom0711
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I dont know if I would call them murderers but I would say its irresponsible and a stupid choice if youre abusing the stuff. I have heard a glass of wine per day is ok, I dont drink much when not pregnant so I never do it but that is not an irresponsible choice. Or cutting down on cigarettes until youre able to quit instead of going cold turkey and experiencing withdrawl, but if youre going to be taking street drugs and getting drunk off your ass and partying then maybe the first pill you shouldve looked into was birth control instead of getting pregnant and setting the child up for problems and defects that are entirely your fault and avoidable.

Clemency3
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I totally understand your feelings and I would not say murderers because the affects do not normally result in death, just some form of a deformity or disorder or something like that. If the pregnancy resulted in a death because of the lifestyle, absolutely. BUT I definitely feel that Mothers that put their unborn child at constant risks like that should be charged with something if something bad happens to the baby in some way. 

MommyRJ
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Drinking & drugs yes. I'm a smoker, was a smoker before each pregnancy and try my hardest to quit ASAP. But I certainly wouldn't call myself a murderer. That's taking it a tad to far
EmmaGlenn20
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I had a very small glass of wine (maybe 2 or 3 oz) while pregnant. Once. And was told I was a child abuser. Whatever.
sfank
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's not nearly as black and white as you make it out to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)