Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

doppler didn't pick up fetal heart beat at 12 weeks 2 days now worried

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
  • 44 Replies

okay so first off my doctor doesn't have an ultrasound machine in his office and it takes a few week inorder to get into the hospital to get one. Second he has been practicing for over 40 years (he actually delivered me and my daughter lol). Third, he told me not to worry and that he would see me back in two weeks on March 28th.

Okay so according to my last period I was 13 weeks 2 days this past thursday but according to my ultrasounds I was only 12 weeks 2 days. I have PCOS so my cycles are irregular. He told me that he would see if he could find the heart beat using the doppler. Now I peed before my appointment which I found out you shouldn't do especially if you are plus size which I am. I weigh 248. He only searchd for 5 minutes then gave up. in two spots you hear a quick "swoosh swoosh" and he would press down harder but it would go away. please tell me some of you also went through this.

It took DH and I almost 5 years to get pregnant with this one. I had a miscarriage June 2011 when I was 4-5 weeks pregnant. Our 5 1/2 year old daughter is sooo excited about being a big sister. All we are doing is praying everything is okay.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

thats normal and common. my last pregnancy I was about 20 weeks before they could hear the hearbeat with the doppler. my dr tried at every appt. he could hear baby moving and kicking around. but could never actually heartbeat. he always had to do an ultrasound to pick up heartbeat. he always did an ultrasound if doppler didn't pick it up just to be sure.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM

OMG I just cried reading this lol. My OBGYN didn't seem worried but I have anxiety. If I can remember correctly, I think I was 15-16 weeks pregnant with my daughter when I heard her heart beat on doppler. He said he wanted to see me back in two weeks to check again. At my last ultrasound I was 8 weeks 4 days pregnant and the heart beat was 169. My anxiety makes me worry. I heard it's normal not to be able to hear it (especially on plus size girls) until 16-20 weeks. I guess my anxiety gets the best of me sometimes.

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

thats normal and common. my last pregnancy I was about 20 weeks before they could hear the hearbeat with the doppler. my dr tried at every appt. he could hear baby moving and kicking around. but could never actually heartbeat. he always had to do an ultrasound to pick up heartbeat. he always did an ultrasound if doppler didn't pick it up just to be sure.

krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Oh and he also said that I looked great and that my uterus is growing the way it should and he was all calm about everything.

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meg4763
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

It took my doctor up to 10 min to find the baby's heartbeat at both the 7 and 11 week visits.  She kept trying until we finally found it, which I really appreciated.  I am sure your baby is fine and that it was just moving around a lot. My ob said that is normal to hear or not to hear that early bc the baby is moving very quickly in the fluid that it is hard to keep it still for long enough to hear on the doppler.  I would ask your doc next time to try for a few more min.  I was def scared that it took so long with me too, but ob assured me that it was normal. 

Aubs1990
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The last 3 times I went for my Dr. visits, they couldn't find the Heartbeat but my Dr. could schedule an Emergency Ultrasound so I had to go right over after my Appointment and everything was okay each time.

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

ya I can't remember with my son when I heard with him cuz he 10 years old now. but it was probably around the same time. but ya with my last pregnancy my dr always checked. he didn't just want to hear it, he wanted to get the exact beat count for some reason. he had a little portable ultrasound machine that he wheeled around and he would use it if he couldn't find heartbeat within 5 mins. at 12 weeks baby is still small and they move around alot. it can be really hard to find baby no matter how big or small you are. its very common. so I wouldn't worry about it. drs know this and some are just more concerned and cautious then others I guess. my dr was more on cautious side. even tho he could hear baby moving around he wanted to actually hear heartbeat. so I got ultrasounds at every visit till I was about 20 weeks along. it was just a quick 1 min ultrasound. but it def made me feel a lot better. chances are your baby there and doing good. the dr just doesn't want to waste time doing an ultrasound for whatever reason just cuz it so common I guess.

Quoting krystyneh:

OMG I just cried reading this lol. My OBGYN didn't seem worried but I have anxiety. If I can remember correctly, I think I was 15-16 weeks pregnant with my daughter when I heard her heart beat on doppler. He said he wanted to see me back in two weeks to check again. At my last ultrasound I was 8 weeks 4 days pregnant and the heart beat was 169. My anxiety makes me worry. I heard it's normal not to be able to hear it (especially on plus size girls) until 16-20 weeks. I guess my anxiety gets the best of me sometimes.

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

NWMomtobe
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Anxiety sucks. They had a hard time finding my little guys at 16 weeks, and he is fine. Good luck!!

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM
My dr couldn't get it at 13 weeks. Its normal!:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
naturalgirl350
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I just went through that this past Monday but luckily my doctor had an ultrasound machine in the office and went and got it and my baby was fine and the heartbeat appeared strong.

I was so scared Monday so I could not imagine being sent home with no answer like that. My doctor found out through my ultrasound that I actually have a fibroid growing too and she said that's probably the reason she could not find the heartbeat, never had one of those so don't know much about them but that was her reason for me. According to my last menstrual I should be right along with your weeks.

So hopefully its nothing and maybe the baby was moving around because through my ultrasound the baby was bouncing back and fourth from side to side.

I will keep you in my prayers.

krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Quoting naturalgirl350:

I just went through that this past Monday but luckily my doctor had an ultrasound machine in the office and went and got it and my baby was fine and the heartbeat appeared strong.

I was so scared Monday so I could not imagine being sent home with no answer like that. My doctor found out through my ultrasound that I actually have a fibroid growing too and she said that's probably the reason she could not find the heartbeat, never had one of those so don't know much about them but that was her reason for me. According to my last menstrual I should be right along with your weeks.

So hopefully its nothing and maybe the baby was moving around because through my ultrasound the baby was bouncing back and fourth from side to side.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)