Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How does the belly measuring work?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 11 Replies
Maybe I'm totally off, but when they measure the belly in centimeters, at what time should the centimeters match the amount of weeks you are?
So if I'm 27 weeks, I should be 27 cm? Right, or no?
For some reason I feel like that's the way it was with my first. Due to severe pregnancy brain, I can barely remember my first name, much less to ask as the doctors office :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope - First it can be human error, could be where baby is, could be where the uterus is, could be where the placenta is, could be you ovulated earlier and later, could be extra fluid or less fluid that plays into all this.

AnitaA
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Wow if your belly measures 27cm at any point in your life, you'd be super SUPER skinny :)

brittany208
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea. Dr just measures me and says "right on track!" He's never mentioned what the measurement actually is.

MomOfNolan
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Ok so maybe I made that whole thing up! For some reason I thought that's the way it was. When I was measured today, I was at 25 cm at 27 weeks so I was just curious since they said I had been measuring ahead! I'm just going to show up and as long as they say I'm good, just go with it and quit trying to figure it all out!!
Thanks ladies!!
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Ideally yes..but, more often, it doesn't always match since it can depend on mom's body type, how baby is laying, etc..

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
She is talking about fundal height not around lol

And yes its just kinda rule of thumb that the weeks matvh the cm but everyones body is different.

Quoting AnitaA:

Wow if your belly measures 27cm at any point in your life, you'd be super SUPER skinny :)

MomOfNolan
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Thanks!!  No I'm not super skinny, especially at 27 weeks pregnant!  I was just curious because they said I had been measuring ahead and then they said I was 25 cm at 27 weeks, which sounds behind to me.  I'll just ignore the measurements unless they say there is an issue!

Quoting KristinCarr:

And yes its just kinda rule of thumb that the weeks matvh the cm but everyones body is different.

Quoting AnitaA:

AnitaA
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

LOL please ignore my pregnancy brain!! Haha

Quoting MomOfNolan:

Thanks!!  No I'm not super skinny, especially at 27 weeks pregnant!  I was just curious because they said I had been measuring ahead and then they said I was 25 cm at 27 weeks, which sounds behind to me.  I'll just ignore the measurements unless they say there is an issue!

Quoting KristinCarr:

Quoting AnitaA:

MomOfNolan
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I hear ya sister! I feel like I'm running on fumes and can hardly form normal sentences! Hang in there!!

Quoting AnitaA:

LOL please ignore my pregnancy brain!! Haha

Quoting MomOfNolan:

Quoting KristinCarr:

Quoting AnitaA:

M.kadester.J
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Rule of thumb is cm match how far along you are in Weeks. But the average person doesn't measure exact, some smaller and some larger.

I have measured large both pregnancies by about 4-6cm compared to Weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN