Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Stripping of membranes question???

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am 39 weeks and 3 days and had my membranes stripped today at my appointment. I am only a fingertip dilated. Anyone else only been a fingertip dilated and had this done and went into labor? I have been induced twice with my other kids and really hoping this baby comes on his own. But iv been a fingertip dilated since 36 weeks and no change. Kinda discouraged but wondering if its possible to still go into labor from getting the membranes stipped and only being a fingertip dilated???

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

What condition lead to the other inductions? HERE is info on the risks and benefits of membrane stripping. 

louzannalady
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

To answer your question, I was barely a one when I was stripped. It broke my water prematurely and caused a very difficult labor and host of preventable complications. 

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I have never had that done. But my first I was 1/2cm and went into labor 5 hours later.

But to answer your questions. Member striping works for some and not others. Some have it done several times and it does nothing for them. They either go into labor on there own or the Dr/OB/and some midwives induces them.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM
with my first i had mine stripped for 3 weeks, and it never did anything lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Ive had this done before and walked around 3-4 cm for almost 3 weeks. All that happened was I lost my mucous membranes over a weeks time. Panicked each time b/c there was blood in it ( no idea that was normal at the time ) and had pre labor contractions 2-3 min apart and no baby.. well until almost 3 weeks later when baby was ready. Works for some and not others. I won't be doing it again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
birthdoulaCBE
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If your body's not completely ready for labor, stripping membranes won't get it there; it works to "persuade" the body into labor if it was already heading there shortly.  If it's going to work, you'll experience contractions usually within 36 hours of having it done.  A bit of spotting and cramping is also quite normal.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I wasn't dilated at all with my first and went 2 days before due date. I was 1-2 cm dilated for a LONG time with my 2nd and she was 2 weeks late.

MissLea922
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I was induced at 41 weeks with both my other kids cause i was overdue and my doctor induces at 41 weeks. No medical reason.

Lsilvamom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I had my membranes striped with my last and had him the next day. I started having contractions that night. I don't remember how many cm I was dialated at the time but I'm sure I was ready to go. It was about 5 days before due date. I don't recommend doing it weeks before due date only last ditch effort to not have to be enduced. 

Dee0886
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I was stripped with both kids..labor started within 24 hours for both. GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN