Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

HELP What to do about a cold while pregnant!!!

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi all. i am 14 weeks pregnant. I woke up the day before yesterday with the worst head cold. Its all settled in my lungs and head. I have a dry cough, sneezing, mild fever, no voice, and am having the toughest time breathing. Last night i was up all night trying every "home remedy" i can think of but nothing seems to help at all. Normally i would take some nighttime cold meds and be over it in a day or two but i know thats a no no with the little bun in the oven.

What do you suggest? is there any cold meds that are safe to take while pregnant? and sneaky tricks anyone has learned to help clear the lungs and settle a cough.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Using a Neti pot was the best remedy I found for relieving congestion. Feel better soon!

CB3arr
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I had a terrible cold when I was around 26 weeks.  I ended up taking some sudafed... the good stuff from the pharmacy.  I was only allowed to take it once a day, but it made a world of difference.  I think I only took 3 doses total (spread over 3 days).  It was enough to get me over the worst of it.  I'm 38 weeks now and everything is going great with pregnancy.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I take warm showers to help with the congestion and the steam helps moist everything up.  Also, I would recommend drinking hot water with honey and lemon...it does wonders.  Hope you feel better!

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Mucinex is ok. Because its made with tbe same stuff as Tylonal. They have a special mucinex just for head or chest colds too!:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stTimeMom2bATL
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Robitussin (DM only!) is on the safe list I got from my Dr. I had to take it a few months ago when I came down with a cold.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coffeemom37043
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Best thing you can do is ride it out. Maybe use some vix on your chest to help.

RedheadMama18
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I was told to take Robitussin.  I took hot showers a lot to try and clear the congestion out.  I also put Vicks on my feet with socks.

mtanenbaum
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM

the first week i found out i was pregnant (5 weeks) i got a cold. was told to take sudafed or tylenol. But they had to be plain, no de congestant at all. 3 weeks ago i came down with a sinus infection, i was told by my primary to take claritin or a generic but the ob said they'd rather me take plain sudafed or tylenol. and robitussin was allowed but it had to be plain. i finally went to the doctor because i'm still sick and it's worse, so now i'm on amoxicillin and flonace. i just can't wait to feel better!

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Talk to your doc.  I was able to tale Tylenol cold and sinus.  

The neti pot never worked for me.  Especially when stuffy.  Home remedies never work for me either so I suck it up as much as I can and hit the meds when I feel truly horrible.  

LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I'm in the same boat and asked my doc the other day what I can take and he said Robitussin for coughing and Sudafed for a runny nose.

I'm thinking its something a little worse than just a cold because the Robitussin isn't doing any good to help the coughing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)