Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Got call today from OB doc saying my quad screen came back with the possibility of my baby having down syndrome... *Update*

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this
My OB doc called today to tell me my quad screen came back that my baby has a possibility of having down syndrome so she scheduled a immediate ultrasound tomorrow.... Not quite sure how to feel or think about this, this is my second pregnancy my son is perfectly healthy so i dont exactly know how this could happen to my second child, I've done everything tog I am suppose to do to have a healthy pregnancy..... I'm just worried and scared. Hoping for good news tomorrow.

*Update*
Well after having my ultrasound today it was all good news! The baby is normal and doing great and we found out that we are having a little girl! :)
Thank you ladies for the advice and being supportive!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jwdv822
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

First of all - GOOD LUCK at your appointment tomorrow. Those tests can come back abnormal for no reason sometimes so try not to freak out too much until you get some solid evidence at your ultrasound. And regardless, you will do what's right for you and your baby, whatever that may be. <3 Thinking about you. I hope everything ends up okay.

CeciliaMarie-
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Good luck momma!!
Heather2001
by Heather on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Don't worry yet.  Those screenings just tell you if your risk is increased, usually by only a very small amount.  That's why I always refuse them - they aren't worth the worry and stress for me.

trin123
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I refused those test for the simple reason is I do not want the added stress this pregnancy has been stressfull enough and I have had 3 friends who have taken the test when they were pregnant and had false positives. All of them had healthy babes. but guess what 2 of them stressed and one never believed the results. I am sure everything will be fine.

Jenn820
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Don't freak yet, it's just a screening. There is the ultrasound, plus another blood test for downs (and then there is the option of an amino).
I just had my blood taken for this pg (baby #2). Don't worry yet, it might be nothing, but even if it is, at least you will know and can prepare yourself. I was going back and forth on taking the test...I decided besides being able to prepare oneself, some of the things the quad screen checks for could change how/where someone gives birth.

Again, don't worry yet. It is very possible to get a positive on the screen but nothing be wrong with your baby. That's why is only a screening.
Steph925
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I got one done with this pregnancy and I got the same thing too plus she said there was a genetic disorder that's not capable with life so she said to come in and do it again and everything turned out normal.

There's alot of false results with that test. Don't stress over it good luck tomorrow
mom2many747
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM
They told me the same thing about my 7 year old. They did a level 2 ultrasound and she also had marker signs of downs. They wanted to do an amnio so they could be sure but I declined because it can cause miscarriage and for me, knowing wasn't worth risking my daughters life. I figured if she does have downs I'll find out when she's born. Well, she does not have downs. She is a beautifully perfect 7 year old. Don't get too worried about it and in my opinion, unless you would abort the baby if it had downs, don't get the amnio. My mothers friend had it done (her baby did have downs) and less than a week later went into early labor. The baby didn't make it...
Denisethedaring
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM

:( Even if your baby does have Down syndrome, it won't be because of anything you've done to cause it!  Truly.  My second son went to an in-home daycare and the woman who ran it, did so because her second-oldest child had Down syndrome--she had him in her mid-20's (so it wasn't maternal age-related)--sometimes it just happens. :(  But it could also be a false positive...try not to stress (I know, useless advice) til you know more!

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Wait for an amnio. Good luck. Hopefully a scare is all it is
FrancineSmith
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I wouldn't put much stock into that screening. It's not very reliable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)