Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pain management/chronic pain

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

hello all! I have had chronic pain and was on pain medication. I am now off of everything and have been since about 4 weeks pregnant or so... I was wondering if any of you have chronic pain or anything like this and how to help? I really was hoping not to have to take pain medications throughout the pregnncy and so far I am doing pretty well, however I have noticed it getting worse again... to let you know I do have a med condition that does cause pain and I have had back spasms so bad that I end up in the ER and they give me dolatted and I still can feel it!! obviously it helps, but that is how intense it is, once we thought we broke a bone or something I couldnt walk!!

I hav done stretches, warm baths, warm showers (let water hit back) heating pad, ice, tylenol etc. but its past those points at time it doesn't help. whats worse is I have three other children to take care of adn a house of course, so I really cannot be bed ridden because of pain. I am worrid it will get even worse.

what have any of you taken for pain (when ABSOLUTELY  needed) not just to take meds because your finger hurts or something. AND that you felt was okay to take while pregnant because of yoru pain. I know that pain meds are not something that is considered to be the safest for sure. so what else can you do to help and what type of pain meds woudl you suggest (something that does NOT need to be taken daily because I really really do not want to do that, just on those days I cannot function or get out of bed etc. Thank you all

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
40sandPreg
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I wish I could give you an answer, but I was scheduled for sugery and was laying prepped in pre-op when I found out I was pregnant!

My doctor won't give me Tramadol, and he told me no to RX or OTC Ibuprophen -  non-narcotic - but he gives me Lortab to take and I'm getting surgery when my LO is a few months old. I take the Lortab sparingly though and not an everyday thing. Just when I'm in alot of pain.  He swears it is safer than newer non-narcotic drugs and won't be 'enough' to affect my baby.

I don't understand how a narcotic is safer than Tramadol, but the OB swears it is.

Hope you find some relief soon. Good luck.

ETA: I also go to a heated therapy pool at a physical rehab center - it's only $30 a month.  It's warmer than the Y's pool (not hot-tub hot), but I get good relief from going.  While I'm in the pool and hours after.  That might be something you could look into if you had the time.  It's not agressive 'swimming' but just gently walking across the bottom, or dog paddling across to stretch out and loosen my joints and muscles.

MrsHill12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM

tramadol did not help me (before pregnancy) and I have been told lortab was safer to take on as needed basis of course. but I had taken that for a few days  during my pregnancy (forgot about that) I had incarcerated uterus and couldn't really walk or anything for a few days until baby moved up where she suppose to be! lol..

as far as I know tramadol is a newer drug isnt it? and honestly I would not want to take a newer medication than an older one in that, they have more resserch done on older ones than they do on the new ones... good luck withh your pain and surgery... what a way to find out your pregnant huh?!!

angevil53
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I have used percocet and iv demoral with ds. Norco with dd and this pregnancy. I get kidney stones while pregnant. But i stopped my norco this time bc my pain got better. If you have pain you need to take something bc pain can put you in labor. I had preterm labor with ds three times where i was on demoral for weeks. I delivered at 36wks with him bc of the pain.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsHill12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM

oh my goodness so scary!!! was there any affects on baby from any of the meds? I would say currently I am not bad enough for demoral. closer to maybe a vicoden though that works for me very very little, I have had such terrible terrible pain that though there times I may not be able to walk much or pick something up, its not as bad as I havev had before that I took percocet or morphine for...

I feel that this pregnancy has actually helped with lots of my pain, I asked a doc about it before and he said that it possible, that you can actually start to feel better during a pregnancy with yoru pain.. I was hoping that I would continue feeling better but its getting back to some more pain...

I am glad to hear your pain has gotten better and was able to so far stop taking meds, I hope it stays that way for you :)

Quoting angevil53:

I have used percocet and iv demoral with ds. Norco with dd and this pregnancy. I get kidney stones while pregnant. But i stopped my norco this time bc my pain got better. If you have pain you need to take something bc pain can put you in labor. I had preterm labor with ds three times where i was on demoral for weeks. I delivered at 36wks with him bc of the pain.

angevil53
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM
With my i had demoral for two weeks before he was born to keep me pregnant. And used percocet a lot when not on demoral. He was born "addicted" to it and had a 96hr withdrawal in a level two nursery. They said it was safer to withdrawal him outside of the uterus and keep me pregnant til 36wks. So that's what they did. His lungs were fine bc he had so much stress in the womb. I'm talking nine stones emergency bilateral stints surgery and both ureters blocked 100%. My blood started to become toxic bc my kidneys were swollen so much. The pain makes you insane. Dd was born at 39 wks and went home the next day. I expect this pregnancy to be the same. I take half a norco as needed. For a few months i took it everyday four times a day. Then my pain backed off so i tried going cold turkey but i got back spasms so i took half a day for two days and then stopped.

Quoting MrsHill12:

oh my goodness so scary!!! was there any affects on baby from any of the meds? I would say currently I am not bad enough for demoral. closer to maybe a vicoden though that works for me very very little, I have had such terrible terrible pain that though there times I may not be able to walk much or pick something up, its not as bad as I havev had before that I took percocet or morphine for...

I feel that this pregnancy has actually helped with lots of my pain, I asked a doc about it before and he said that it possible, that you can actually start to feel better during a pregnancy with yoru pain.. I was hoping that I would continue feeling better but its getting back to some more pain...

I am glad to hear your pain has gotten better and was able to so far stop taking meds, I hope it stays that way for you :)

Quoting angevil53:

MrsHill12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

oh goodness!! such scary sitatuations!! I noticed that stopping taking my pain meds a few different times caused more major back spasms, once I would be off for awhile then they sometims would ease up... but I wouldn't sugges this during pregnancy, if someone was taking pain meds and they got back spasms after stopping them and they far enough along, I would def say not to just stop because my type of back spasms so bad I def would have had a baby if I were pregnant during those times.

its so hard when you have enough pain to actually need meds but also be pregnant!! its such a catch 22 i feel.

Quoting angevil53:

With my i had demoral for two weeks before he was born to keep me pregnant. And used percocet a lot when not on demoral. He was born "addicted" to it and had a 96hr withdrawal in a level two nursery. They said it was safer to withdrawal him outside of the uterus and keep me pregnant til 36wks. So that's what they did. His lungs were fine bc he had so much stress in the womb. I'm talking nine stones emergency bilateral stints surgery and both ureters blocked 100%. My blood started to become toxic bc my kidneys were swollen so much. The pain makes you insane. Dd was born at 39 wks and went home the next day. I expect this pregnancy to be the same. I take half a norco as needed. For a few months i took it everyday four times a day. Then my pain backed off so i tried going cold turkey but i got back spasms so i took half a day for two days and then stopped.

Quoting MrsHill12:

Quoting angevil53:

angevil53
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM
It is, it's hard bc if your pain is bad enough it causes labor pain. Your body reacts to the stress of it.

Quoting MrsHill12:

oh goodness!! such scary sitatuations!! I noticed that stopping taking my pain meds a few different times caused more major back spasms, once I would be off for awhile then they sometims would ease up... but I wouldn't sugges this during pregnancy, if someone was taking pain meds and they got back spasms after stopping them and they far enough along, I would def say not to just stop because my type of back spasms so bad I def would have had a baby if I were pregnant during those times.

its so hard when you have enough pain to actually need meds but also be pregnant!! its such a catch 22 i feel.

Quoting angevil53:

Quoting MrsHill12:

Quoting angevil53:

cadkins07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Percocets are safe
MrsHill12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

im actually nervous about percocets, I had surgery last year and I had to continue upping my dose (my surgery did not go well and we found out that I have ehlers danlos and in that case I should have never had surgery and thats why I ended up in more pain). well I have a high pain tolerance but I also have a high tolerance to medication. I have to up it all thte time or I have to stop for awhile then I have to start again because I get use to them so easily. when I stopped taking percocets I had withdrawals very very bad, I had to take them everyday about every 4 to 5 hours to keep pain down I did this for about 9 months! I then switched to morphine but that did not hep with my pain and I had to up my dose and all it did was make me tired and eat and still had pain :( ... that is one of my biggest problems is my tolerance build so quickly. One reason I am soooo scared my pain will get to that point of needing meds but will have to up them if pain is that bad. I can take a med two time and works great nexxt time I take it I can feel nothing, that how my tolerance level it! even when I was 14 yrs old, I was given a pain med from my g-pa when I was very very sick and I slept all day and night, next time he gave me one, I was fine and awake! then I didn't take any I was in hospital because of my illness.

I know such  long logn post!! lol.. but figued I would give a little more back story on my pain medicatiion so that you all can see my situation. I very much appreciate all your info!!

Xanbuttsmom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I have lidoderm patches. They are lidocane (sp?) patches. my sister gave them to me. I asked my midwife if its ok to take and she said she would rather me try other things first (pretty much everything you listed), but never said it wasn't safe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured