Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone else? *vent

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM
  • 12 Replies

Anyone else have a mother-in-law that thinks you're pregnant with her child?? Mine already has 6 grandchildren (all from DH siblings) and thinks she's mother/grandmother of the universe; though that is far from accurate. I'm only 9 weeks in and she's already trying to make decisions for us/the baby, despite DH and myself reminding her this is NOT her place.

Sigh. It's so unfair. She's ruining the most exciting time of my life because she is selfish and feels guilty about being a terrible mother to her own children.

I pray none of you can relate!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sj3starz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Sounds more like my mom... Not mil. Lol. She likes to veto any and all decisions I make about parenting. It gets old real fast, especially since I have REASON for doing things the way I do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CSMama3
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I'm sorry that has to be upsetting.
WatchmansMoon
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Sorry to hear  :(  Hopefully, your DH will be strong and intervene on behalf of your marriage and family.  Have you thought of banning together with other siblings in the family and addressing MIL as a group?  Maybe DH, if he brings it up with her, can have a couple siblings with him to back him up?  I also know of a good book titled "The Mother-in-Law Dance: Can Two Women Love the Same Man and Still Get Along?"  It's by Annie Chapman and also addresses MIL meddling in child-rearing.  Hope it helps!!

fkh8ah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM
My DH unfortunately doesnt have any communication with his parents. But it does sound like my mom...things are so bad because i finally couldnt take it anymore that we now arent speaking
nicole2884
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM

nothing yet, besides throwing names out there an acting some what affended when we hated the names, an pissy when we didnt offer to tell her the names we were thinking but that was very mild even, it well be interesting to see how she handles the news when we tell her not visiting while we are in labor an that we well call when we are ready for visitation, but i dont think she well act a fool, an the hospital security wont let anyone in anyways due to their policy soooooo

DKk0531
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Mine. Shes insisting that the first born wether boy or girl is to be named david...dh name. She says we need to spend our tax return to move to a bigger house, um no we will be buying a house this summer and im not wasting tax return money just to move a few months later. According to her i need to use dh aunt as a doula just because shes an ob in southern ca...um no. She says I need to have a home birth with no medical attention. God...i hate mil. Always have. She kicked a trashcan through a window when she found out we are preg
manda2391
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM
My mother in law is comparing my baby, to my step daughter. And its really starting to get on my nerves.
heartagram_girl
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Sounds like my mother! She is so overbearing it is hard to believe. She point blank told us how the birth will go, who will be there (her , and not DH) , that I will bottle feed (which I will NOT). She has told me that mom and dad (AKA me and DH) bonding with baby isnt as important as baby bonding with grandma. She is trying to map out his entire first 4-5 years of life. She is trying to get us to allow her to move in with us after Atreyu is born so she can take care of him while I take care of normal household chores. She is doing her best to dissuade me from cloth diapering, and doesnt believe in baby clothing with snaps- loose elastic is best. Oh and lets not forget sleeping on stomach- that is just fine. Especially on a soft couch cushion. And babies need to be exposed to lots of germs to build up their immune system- she doesnt believe in washing hands just to hold a baby.

I am sorry your MIL is putting you through this. Just remind her that this is your body, your child, your life. She can give advice, but the decisions and such are yours and DH's.

CafeMom Tickers
MariaGentle
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM
My MIL was/is like that with my Stepdaughter (11). After she made a scence is OUR church in front of the alter at Stepdaughter's BAPTiSM and yelled and screamed at the priest because she thought she was entitled to be the godmother (even though we did not want her to be and she isn't even Catholic) just because she was the grandmother, I drew the line.

I told my husband if he wants to keep a relationship with her then he and stepdaughter can go but she will NOT have anything to do with Riley (the little girl I am pregnant with) it myself and she was no longer welcome to our home.

Luckily, after this and many MANY other situations before this, my husband had had enough too and she has been disowned all together.
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry girl, but no. My MIL rocks, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)