Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What all is done in the hospital??

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 19 Replies

So my question is, when you go in to have your baby, what all is done? Is there bloodwork?? Any specific testing? Anything in particular after labor? Or is it just get hooked up to an IV and get an epi when the time comes if you want it and have the baby?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RhondaVeggie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
They do blood work to check stuff like platelet levels. If you have an IV they just take the blood through there. I didn't have an IV so they took the blood from the inside of my elbow. If you have an epidural you'll need the IV but personally I advise against them. I had one with my first then went all natural with my second. My second birth was so much easier, labor was shorter and pushing went by much quicker despite the baby being over a pound bigger. In my opinion the cons of an epidural far outweigh the pros.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
.... I always got hooked and took my epi
Jessica120911
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Basically all that happens is they admit you, get you in a delivery room, put an IV in, your OB doc.will come.in and see you and.break your water if it comes to it, other than that they just monitor you and baby and check your cervix every now and then, and once you get close to the big 10, thats when they'll ask you if you want.the epi, and then they deliever the baby once you get to 10, pretty simple but it's exciting and a little.scary. Lol.
Megan11587
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I know they do drug testing in Maryland. If your positive for anything when you go into delivery, the state steps in. I had an emergency c-section. I wasn't quite with it before the surgery so I'm not sure what they do before hand, but I know I was on IV morphine, and my vitals were being monitored.
Hero1059
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Quoting Megan11587:

I know they do drug testing in Maryland. If your positive for anything when you go into delivery, the state steps in. I had an emergency c-section. I wasn't quite with it before the surgery so I'm not sure what they do before hand, but I know I was on IV morphine, and my vitals were being monitored.

wowzers! A drug test?! I know in Texas they do an HIV test your first prenstal visit AND the day you go in to have the baby. They also want to make sure you're not anemic and I believe they also find yoyr blood type in case you need a transfusion (which is rare....especially for normal delivery). If your hospital is nice, you get a private delivery room to labor in...but.....there is a chance that they will put you in a room with other laboring women, divided by a curtain until you reach a certain point in labor THEN you get a room. You can get an epi, which, I wouldnt personally....I had my first baby normal wirh epi and now have some issues. My second delivery was a csec due to position of twins and got the epi spinal block...even worse. My third was ok. Minimal issues but I would rather not have it. After the baby isddelivered, they will turn down the epi to un numb you and viola. Unless you are lucky and get a morphine pump which is usually reserved for csecs (they seem scary but they arent). If there are any concerns, they will draw more blood. They will check your vitals every few hours. That is aboutit!!!
Megan11587
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yep yep, strict stuff here!  If your positive for anything CPS is called (except methodone, which I think is stupid).  Plus, if your kid goes into the NICU, a social worker comes to your house for an inspection prior to baby coming home.

Quoting Hero1059:

Quoting Megan11587:

wowzers! A drug test?! I know in Texas they do an HIV test your first prenstal visit AND the day you go in to have the baby. They also want to make sure you're not anemic and I believe they also find yoyr blood type in case you need a transfusion (which is rare....especially for normal delivery). If your hospital is nice, you get a private delivery room to labor in...but.....there is a chance that they will put you in a room with other laboring women, divided by a curtain until you reach a certain point in labor THEN you get a room. You can get an epi, which, I wouldnt personally....I had my first baby normal wirh epi and now have some issues. My second delivery was a csec due to position of twins and got the epi spinal block...even worse. My third was ok. Minimal issues but I would rather not have it. After the baby isddelivered, they will turn down the epi to un numb you and viola. Unless you are lucky and get a morphine pump which is usually reserved for csecs (they seem scary but they arent). If there are any concerns, they will draw more blood. They will check your vitals every few hours. That is aboutit!!!

1stTimeMom2bATL
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM
They should drug/alcohol test in every state after labor, IMO (if they don't already).

Quoting Megan11587:

Megan11587
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I agree with the drug testing, not the alcohol. Alcohol is legal.  Even though it isn't good to have while pregnant, it's still legal so it's up to mother's discretion.

Quoting 1stTimeMom2bATL:

They should drug/alcohol test in every state after labor, IMO (if they don't already).

Quoting Megan11587:

coffeemom37043
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

It could be considered endangering the child though, couldn't it?

Quoting Megan11587:

I agree with the drug testing, not the alcohol. Alcohol is legal.  Even though it isn't good to have while pregnant, it's still legal so it's up to mother's discretion.

Quoting 1stTimeMom2bATL:

Quoting Megan11587:

Megan11587
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

If you want to go that route, lets take kids away from anyone that has and caffeine, lunch meat, sushi, warm bath, lifts more than a certain amount of weight, tuna fish.  The fact of the matter is, yes it may be dangerous, but it is a legal substance and you can't punish someone for using it.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

It could be considered endangering the child though, couldn't it?

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting 1stTimeMom2bATL:

Quoting Megan11587:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)