Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me what you ladies know about...

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

Placenta Previa?? I have looked online but I dont really trust many website cuz you never know where they get their info and I know alot of you on here are very knowledgeable and some may even have had this. I am 22 weeks and at my last 12 week u/s the tech noticed the placenta was below the baby right over the cervix but my Dr said it moves up on its own lots of times so we're not going to worry about it yet, just monitor with a couple ultrasounds. So yesterday I had another and the tech said luckily everything looks good with the baby ( he was moving his little mouth and flipping around, kicking and touching his little head and everything!) but the placenta hasnt moved, he was actually using it as his little pillow at one point thru the scan. He said it usually starts moving up by now if its going to but not to worry cuz we still have until July. I really DONT want a csection but with this I know its the only option. they didnt tell me any restrictions or anything yet but does anyone know if this could cause premature birth or problems once baby gets bigger if it stays right over the cervix?? Any info you know is appreciated. thanks!!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Amber on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I don't believe it has any effect on the outcome of how long your pregnancy is (other than scheduling your c-section too early). In the third trimester when there's a lot of major growth, it could very well move out of the way enough. Is the placenta completely over the cervix, partially, or beside it (too close)? 

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I have two friends who have had/ have it. The first it moved at 38 weeks just in time for her to have a vaginal delivery. The other is 28 weeks now and has a c section scheduled but we are hoping it moves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichaelsMom0711
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

oh wow it didnt move til 38 weeks?? Well that gives me hope then because I'm thinking if it didnt at least start moving by now its not going to but Im only 22 weeks! They have to schedule the csection before labor starts on its own, right? I would think they wouldnt want you to start dilating with it that low.

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

I have two friends who have had/ have it. The first it moved at 38 weeks just in time for her to have a vaginal delivery. The other is 28 weeks now and has a c section scheduled but we are hoping it moves.

LuvMyBoys09
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I had it...I can't remember how far along I was though...not very far along, I know that.

My placenta was completely covering the cervix and after about 2 weeks, it moved on it's own.

I wasn't allowed to do much of anything while I waited....I had to refrain from cleaning and doing laundry because if the lifting.

I was pregnant with twins and was told that if it didn't move by a certain time, I'd have to have a c-section.

Thankfully it moved.

I completely forgot all about having this problem until I saw your post.

I'm pregnant now and don't want to be caught off guard if it happens this time around too.
sfank
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I've never heard of previa causing seriously premature delivery. I do know that if you start to bleed at any point you will most likely be put on pelvic or bed rest. At my clinic a full previa leads them to section at 36 weeks because going into labour would cause the placenta to unattach from the uterus and that can kill the baby. Your placenta certainly has time to move though. Good luck!

MichaelsMom0711
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM

So they do it at 36 weeks as a precaution? What if you start going into labor, for example if my Dr schedules it at 39 weeks and I went into labor at 38, do you just go right away to labor & delievery so they do an emergency csection?? I had my first son 2 days before his due date so Im hoping this one wouldnt come too early but you never know

Quoting sfank:

I've never heard of previa causing seriously premature delivery. I do know that if you start to bleed at any point you will most likely be put on pelvic or bed rest. At my clinic a full previa leads them to section at 36 weeks because going into labour would cause the placenta to unattach from the uterus and that can kill the baby. Your placenta certainly has time to move though. Good luck!

MichaelsMom0711
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Well, its pretty much directly over the cervix. He said that's how it was at the 12 week scan and it hasn't really moved much at all. But the big growth spurts during the 3rd trimester was what I was nervous about, I was thinking it could just put too much pressure on the cervix and cause it to dilate or something that would make him come too early but hopefully that will push it over like you said. I know its stupid to worry about it so soon but I cant help it, Ive never had a major surgery, or any surgery for that matter and since its something out of the ordinary I was afraid of it harming the baby in some odd way even though my Dr said it wont!!

Quoting Pandapanda:

I don't believe it has any effect on the outcome of how long your pregnancy is (other than scheduling your c-section too early). In the third trimester when there's a lot of major growth, it could very well move out of the way enough. Is the placenta completely over the cervix, partially, or beside it (too close)? 

sfank
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM

From what my doc said they might not be able to get baby out in time if you go into labour. I don't like the thought of sectioning that early either but trust my clinic's birth philosophy so I know it's what they believe to be best. I didn't talk with her about it in depth though because I only have partial previa and she's confident it will move. I would talk to your doctor more about your clinic's procedures and the risks and benefits associated with sectioning at different times.

Quoting MichaelsMom0711:

So they do it at 36 weeks as a precaution? What if you start going into labor, for example if my Dr schedules it at 39 weeks and I went into labor at 38, do you just go right away to labor & delievery so they do an emergency csection?? I had my first son 2 days before his due date so Im hoping this one wouldnt come too early but you never know

Quoting sfank:

CourtneyBrynn
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Mine moved in my late 20s (week). It was only partial covering
Pandapanda
by Amber on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Well that's simply not true.. c-sections (necessary or not) carry risks for both the mom and baby. Next appointment with your doctor, try speaking to him about what all a c-section entails and see if he will be more honest about it. I understand not wanting to be afraid, but you'll be less afraid with all the information possible available to you. 

Quoting MichaelsMom0711:

Well, its pretty much directly over the cervix. He said that's how it was at the 12 week scan and it hasn't really moved much at all. But the big growth spurts during the 3rd trimester was what I was nervous about, I was thinking it could just put too much pressure on the cervix and cause it to dilate or something that would make him come too early but hopefully that will push it over like you said. I know its stupid to worry about it so soon but I cant help it, Ive never had a major surgery, or any surgery for that matter and since its something out of the ordinary I was afraid of it harming the baby in some odd way even though my Dr said it wont!!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)