Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone Birth A Sunny Side Up Baby?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
  • 31 Replies

Hello ladies :) I just thought I'd come and find out how many of you were able to sucessfully birth a baby that the doctor deemed "sunndy side up" or medically Posterior (meaning the baby's head is down, but their face is up)

The reason I ask is because my first born was sunnyside up. I had HORRIBLE back labor that lasted 12 hours and of coures my epidural ran out shortly before I needed to push so I felt everything. I pushed for 3 hours and dd wouldn't budge! Anyways, needless to say I ended up with an emergency c section because of her heartrate dropping drastically and had the longest and most painful recovery :(

Pregnant with dd #2 (i'm 32 weeks) I knew from the very beginning that I absolutely would not be having another c section unless medically necessary, so I found an OB who is wonderful and supportive of VBACS. I am thrilled to have the chance to birth vaginally again, however at the same time I'm absolutely terrified!

Because of my firt experience I'm so afraid that if I get to L&D and they tell me that she is sunny side up again i'll IMMEDIATELY feel defeated and just want to give up. I promise you with my first I pushed with all my might and that little girl wouldn't move an inch. I know there are women who have been able to delivery posterior babies but either i'm a wimp or i just CAN"T do it. ( I am not proud of this by any means)

Anyways, what do I do if I go to deliver and baby is posterior? Do I just say screw it give me a c section? I don't think I can handle laboring, pushing and then STILL ending up in the OR.

Share you're sunny side up baby, or crazy birthing experiences. I need hope!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
your_angel
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Bump!

RhondaVeggie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I haven't but my little sister was and she came out just fine. There are exercises to help get baby in the right position and better positions for birthing in if they don't. I think the spinning babies website has some info.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma4xover
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My VBAC was posterior... but no one knew until I pushed her out and no one told me after. I couldn't figure out why my vagina wasn't sore at all (no tears etc) but my butt hurt like no one's business! My husband told me, not knowing it was unusual, a few weeks later, "The strangest thing about it was watching her blink at me while only her head was out". I was like WHAT?! rofl! 

You can do it. Maybe just don't ask, don't try to find out. That way you won't get the instant feelings of stress. Stressing will make it harder. You CAN do it- I would say try to get the doctor to agree to let you try to squat or something instead of laying flat on your back (course, if you have an epidural you won't be able to) but if you manage to go natural and pushing gets hard again, try some other positions. Laying on your back actually compresses your pelvis which makes pushing even more difficult than it should be! Good luck mama!

MelKGriffin
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

My first baby was posterior.  The back labor was awful, but she came out just fine!  :)

Aandie
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Like a pp said check out spinning babies for tips on better positioning.
My brother was posterior and I was not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I did! my first was posterior with a turned face and a large head! Took me 3 hours to push him out. I did not have any kind of pain meds and i dont think i could have done it with pain meds. I tried so many different positions to push him out and you simply can not do that if you cant feel your legs!

My second was not posterior at all and her birht was super easy! There are no garantees and i really do believe that natural is the way to go with posterior babies because if you can feel whats going on you can try things! 

to this day i am convinced that if i had had an epi that his birth would have turned into a c-section. Good luck momma and feel free to contact me if you want to know more

mommyofone123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I have a tilted uterus so I was told back labor is more common. I had severe backlabor with my 1st, was in labor for 24 hours and she was sunny side up. With my 2nd and 3rd labor was only 9 and then 7 hours and they both were not sunny side up and  I didn't have back labor. :)   So there's hope! lol

allsolittle
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM
My third was sunny side up. I pushed for two hours and the midwife was talking c sec. She ended up rolling up a sheet and held one end while I held the other and pulled while I pushed. I pulled her on top of me lol so my mom and sister pulled instead. Eventually he was born with a bruised swollen shut eye :( his eye still doesn't open as much as the other. That was definitely my toughest birth. Out of four! All the staff was saying they had never actually knew of a woman that vaginally delivered like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM

See a Chriopracter, they work wonders and can correctly possition baby into the pelvis!! Its amazing :) I birthed my second sunny side up...well he fell out. Labor was much harsher, and it was longer, but he was so tiny he fell when they broke my water!

KittyTussand
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I havnt had any sunny side ups.  But my husband was born that way.  MIL labored for 36 hours.  His spine was pressed on her spine and should of been a c section.  IT was all back labor.  My husband is  deaf in his left year which doctors and MIL say was due to sunny side up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)