Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

WAIT....OR...KNOW NOW??

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 23 Replies

For starters, I am NOT pregnant...yet..I do however, already have a 4 y/o little girl. My Fiance' and I have recently been talking about having another one, and soon because I didn't want them to be to far apart in age. As of already they are/would be..in my opinion.Things just have not panned out the way we hoped they would in order for us to start trying for #2..I brought up the conversation the other day that if/WHEN we get pregnant again are we going to find out this time what the sex is? (We did with my daughter) I want it to be a surprise and he said that there is no way in hell that he can wait and wonder what I'm carrying. lol I do understand his point, I really do, he wants to know so we can "prepare for that gender." I told him that now a days there are so many unisex baby things and nursery sets that it wouldn't matter. As far as the naming goes, I said pick names for both and then we would be prepared. lol...My point is I want the surprise and the excitement of not knowing. After all, it obviously can only go either way..lol. One issue that I do have is if I look at the monitor I can read it bc I worked in OBGYN for 3 1/2 years, constantly looking at US daily... :( So what turn my head? lmao...I had a C-Section with my daughter so I know that I will be a repeat...that mostly takes away of knowing when he/she is coming, so why not at least have this a surprise?? For those of you out there that say let him find out and not tell you....REALLY? I know him better than he knows himself and I can read him like a book so I would be able to figure it out in no time. Not to mention if he randomly buys things leaning towards 1 gender then its obvious!! 

I want to see how many aggree with me or him?? And if you were one that didnt find out tell me how it went, was it easy to do or did the antisipation drive you nuts?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiquidLuck
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I found out with my first and not with my second. We're not finding out with this one either because not finding out was way too much fun. It was also a different kind of bonding, growing to love the child not knowing the name or gender or even what baby looks like. We don't believe in gender roles so we just buy whatever we like and we pick out 2 names. It's a lot of fun, I'd say go for it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM
We are both waiting. I will buy gender neutral stuff, maybe a few of both and donate what i don't need to a shelter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with him. I hate the gender neutral stuff and it would drive me insane waiting to find out. I also start calling m kids by their names when I find out the gender to cut down or stop the "the baby" moniker.
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM

We love the surprise and well as we don't do ultrasounds unless necessary and that makes is easier too.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM

If this is gonna be your last child I say leave it a surprise. Let the tech who does your u/s know you don't want to know the gender and if they have to go down into that area just turn your head.  I was surprised with 2/4 of my girls (though if it was up to me they'd have all been surprises) and am keeping this baby a surprise as well. It's an AMAZING feeling =0)

brittany208
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I like to be surprised--at about 18 weeks. I would never wait either, if I had any say in the matter.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I want to wait, but he doesn't. There really isn't a lot of gender neutral these days. Just puke green and pee yellow. It's annoying. We are finding out when we have our ultrasound, only because of buying clothes and decorating the nursery. I'd rather wait though.

CrazyMommy87
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I had 2 surprises out of 5. #3 we were told girl but had a boy and #4 we waited till birth. It was so exciting waiting, but with this last one (I'm 36w 4days) we just had to find out. This last baby is high risk so we go for ultrasounds every5-6 weeks. It was hard to not find out!
summerbear
by Rachel on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM
This is the second time I am waiting to find out the gender. Around 7 months the first time, I swore to everyone I would not wait again! The anticipation was awful!! But then, the moment he was born, no words could describe the feeling of meeting him and finding out who and what he was!

We learned with DD2 NOT to look at the screen the moment the tech put the doppler on the belly!! We wanted DD2 to be a surprise, but there was no denying what we saw! So we looked away while the femur measurements are being taken. As soon as she moved up into the "safe" zone, she let us know and we watched the rest of the ultrasound. Seeing the face, stomach, heart beat etc...

We picked out names, so that was easy. We did want to be prepared as far as clothes were, and that was easy too. Instead of buying things to put in the room for either gender and not having a crap ton of ducky stuff, we put the money in envelopes.

We picked out the bigger items for both genders. Car seat, stroller, swing, playpen, etc... We took pictures of the items and put them in the envelops with the money. When baby was born DH just had to go out and buy the items! When baby was born (and daddy spent some time with our surprise) we called family (only revealing time and weight) and they waited for DH at the house. (My SIL had the key because she was closest and could get the door open for everyone else) All my family found out the gender when DH brought the first item in! While I was getting some wonderful undisturbed bonding time with the new baby, the room was getting put together and the car seat loaded in the van! I only had to enjoy the quiet and the baby!

After everything was finished, DH brought my daughters to the hospital to meet their brother and then family came in one by one. I had time to clean up and get ready for company. We are doing the same with this baby!

When people say "but I like to be prepared"... I laugh! They prepare by buying things and placing them in a space that will remain unused for many many weeks. We had the baby bag packed with 2 outfits. One for each gender in NB size. When I walked in the house all the baby stuff was in place. Clothes in the closet and drawers. We did buy diapers and wipes and a few other gender nonspecific items that were already set up. Crib sheets were on, wall art hanging. His name in letters on the wall. Everything I had picked out with DH was where it was supposed to be! We were very prepared for baby!

"I don't want to call baby in belly 'it'"... pick out a name for both genders and say "X or Y". Or pick out a name with beginnings that are the same. We called surprise #1 "Tris". Trista for girl. Tristen for boy. This baby is going to be Phoenix weather they are boy or girl. Or even, pick a neutral nickname. "Bug-a-boo" "peanut" "bean" etc...

Anything I missed?
summerbear
by Rachel on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Read my reply above, it is really easy to get the decorating done and the clothes picked out!!

Quoting EvilAsh:

I want to wait, but he doesn't. There really isn't a lot of gender neutral these days. Just puke green and pee yellow. It's annoying. We are finding out when we have our ultrasound, only because of buying clothes and decorating the nursery. I'd rather wait though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)