Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: I am trying to decide between medicated or natural birth...

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 30 Replies

Well tis is my fourth child and I am trying to decide between medicated or natural birth. I have had an epidural with the last three but didnt lie the way it left me feeling. Can anyone give me some advice?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Why don't you attempt natural and if you feel you can't do it before you get to say 7cm, get the EPI. If you can make it to 7, you can make it all the way. It's really not too bad. 8) I've had two medicated and two unmedicated.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

If you really want natural, practice techinques to help with pain management. Read up on everything you can. The more knowledge you have on how you are going to do it without meds, the less scary it will seem.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Prepare for a natural delivery and if you don't feel you can make it through then get the epi. I've only had natural deliveries so I don't know what epi birth feels like afterward.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MadamosielleM
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Last time I was pregnant I had to have an emergency c-section and they ended up giving me an epidural. As a result of the epidural, I had muscle spasms in my back for six months after my daughter was born.  I am going to try to go natural if I can, because the muscle spasms have started up again whenever I have contractions in my second pregnancy.  

Brooked18
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I have had two medicated and one natural. I would do all natural for anymore I wanted the oy issue I had was "the ring of fire" I pushed through it and I did a lit if damage, I can handle everything else that's cake :)
Tfrazier0805
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

See ive had three with the EPI already. With my first it didnt work so thay had to re do it and it only woked on oneside, the second was ok, the third i was numb all the way into my chest my legs were so heavy and it didnt wear off for ever. So im just confused on what i want i was moreor less forced into it the last time

mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Tell your hubby you don't want it (if that's what you decide). I told my husband not to let me give in unless he really, really felt that I needed it.

Quoting Tfrazier0805:

See ive had three with the EPI already. With my first it didnt work so thay had to re do it and it only woked on oneside, the second was ok, the third i was numb all the way into my chest my legs were so heavy and it didnt wear off for ever. So im just confused on what i want i was moreor less forced into it the last time

Tfrazier0805
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Oh Hubby is completely supportive. He says we will plan for natural unless i cant take the pain any longer he knows how my back hurts for months after and how i can be still and the EPI made me miserable.........What are some thing you all used to help with labor pain

Cynthje
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I have no idea what an epi feels like, both mine were natural. 

RhondaVeggie
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I would absolutely go natural. My first was an epidural and my second was natural. Labor was easier, delivery was far faster and honestly not any more painful since I could move and be more efficient. Recovery was easier and I didn't have that back pain from the epidural.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN