Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hospitals...How do you choose??

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am having a homebirth, but per Midwife orders I must fill out an emergency form, and preregester at the hospital in which I would go to if there were an emergency. So bascially we have an offer in on a house that will be about 5 min (IF that from the nearest hospital). I know very little about this hospital, have never been there in my life. But have heard people make negative comments about it. They do have a fairly new (last couple years it was built) Maternity unit. While the hospital I do prefer will be approximately 1 hr and 15 min away from this new house. I say the hospital I prefer, it really is just like any other hospital I have heard of, it has specific rules, you have no say, but I have been there for two of my deliveries so I atleast know what to expect. So in case of an emergency do you pick the closest hospital because its closest, or do you go with the one your prefer???

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DKk0531
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Wish i could help! Im in the same situation...not homebirth but just choosing a hospital. We have two to choose from, one is pretty much down the street from us, the other is 40-60 mins away depending on traffic. This one i know would probably be the smarter choice but the other, its alot bigger and i would be comfortable knowing IF something goes wrong they have the tools to take care of it. The one closer to us is very very small. I know they are not equipped to handle something going horribly wrong, they dont have NICU. When my dad got carbon monoxide posinsing they were careflighting him to the bigger one. Im just saying IF something were to go wrong ide rather have the comfort of getting the baby "down the hall"rather then "fire up careflight" get what im saying? So maybe you should base part your decision on worst possible outcome and which hospital can handle that? Im sorry...wish i could help more :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

The one I prefer.

We have two choices and one is out of the question. They will turn you away if you are attempting a home birth. The other one stinks too but at least they will take you if you do need it.

brittany208
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Call both hospitals and ask questions about their policies/procedures. I assume you aren't moving the day before you deliver, so visit one before you move and the other after you move. Grab preregistration papers at the first one and take them with you, then you can mail them if you choose the far away hospital, or just drop off papers at the close hospital. And I suppose yuo COULD preregister at both just in case... then if you have time to travel, you can. but if not, then you can go to the close one.

JadeTigr7
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I had no choice in which hospital would be my back up.  I went with the one my insurance covered.  It is not the closest to me, but I wasn't worried since I'd never had any complications (that weren't caused by a hospital anyways).

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Yea same here, any complications I have had have been minor and hospital caused. So I tried to talk my Midwife out of evening worrying about it. But she insisted just in case. And I understand that, but I WILL PRACTICALLY REFUSE to go unless I really feel like something is wrong HAHA!

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I had no choice in which hospital would be my back up.  I went with the one my insurance covered.  It is not the closest to me, but I wasn't worried since I'd never had any complications (that weren't caused by a hospital anyways).

momto1ryen
by Lindsey on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Well I go to the one I perfer. However in your case if you had to go it would be in an emergency situation so I would assume you would want the closest hospital  since time would probably be a factor.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I'd start by checking Cesarean Rates to see if I can find info on the hospital options nearby. 

wkukid
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I chose mine based on the ability to labor and birth in water. They also don't remove my baby from my room unless she will need the nicu.

kman88
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I am basically in the middle of 4 hospitals (2 my doc delivers at) my boyfriend prefers one and I really have no preference, they have the same procedures and rules...I plan to check them both out but if there isn't much difference I will prly go with the one closer to my parents.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

In case of an emergency, I would choose the closest hospital.  But, if time wasn't a factor, I would choose the hospital you prefer farther away.

Hard decision!  Good luck!!  I hope none of this is needed, and you are able to have a wonderful homebirth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)