Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

caffiene and TMI questions.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am a big coffee drinker. I was just drinking regular coffee. I didn't drink a lot but I filled my coffee travel mug up and left for work. I had that everyday. Then I read it was bad for the baby. Then i did something different this morning. I added a teaspoon of decaf and a teaspoon of regular. I have instant coffee. I don't want to get a killer headache like I have had before. How much caffiene are you allowed when you are pregnant. Also I feel like I am having some sort of discharged a lot. Is that normal? Or I feel like there is mosture down there. One more questions. I get pains in my hips or my stomach everyday more than once a day. They are not bad I just get some kind of pain on and off. Thanks for helping me. I am lost if that is good or bad.

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the line is supposed to be what's in 2 cans of pop.

The pain is nothing to be concerned about. It's probably just round ligament pain. It's the body getting ready to carry around the baby. 8)

ahleesha14
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Ok I don't drink that much coffee and the rest of everything is decaffinated. I didn't know if that was okay or not. I didn't think the pain was anything but wasn't sure. Once I see my dr everything will be okay.

Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM
I was told I can have up to 200 mg of caffeine per day....your coffee package should say how much caffeine there is per serving. I have barely had caffeine, but once in awhile will have a dt pepsi or glass of iced tea....i had lots of headaches when I lowered the caffeine at first. Mild cramping and pulling is normal. Discharge is normal too because of hormone changes. Keep in mind that you are more prone to yeast, vaginal and bladder infections during the pregnancy, so watch for other symptoms with the discharge as it could be an infection.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ahleesha14
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I do remember reading or hearing that you are prone to more yeast infections. I do need to read the coffee but a teaspoon of regular and one of teaspoon of decafe I am not worried about. Like i said just wondered about the mild cramping.

phreddy1
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM

The caffiene thing is actually just a falacy. Studies have shown that women who drink a small amount of  caffiene during pregnancy have an easier time getting their children on regular sleep schedules. It's honestly a personal preference. I don't drink very much caffiene anyways, but I haven't stopped all caffiene intake since getting pregnant. Discharge is normal, but if you're worried about it you can always ask your OB. Pains in your hips and stomach are completely normal. Could be your hips spreading, and it could also be round ligament pain.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

yeah I started drinking coffee this past month. I kind of feel guilty about it because i was really "clean" for my first baby. Anyway I do half regular half decaf to reduce the caffeine amount and I have 1 1/2 large cup i don't think its that bad.....I don't drink it everyday.

5tyli5hLensT
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM
My doc says 200mg a day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma_gig
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Everything that I've read and been told has said that 200mg or less of caffeine a day is safe. You have to be careful with coffee, though, because some coffee varies in caffeine levels. So check the coffee container for caffeine content. Even decaf has a small amount of caffeine, but it's not enough harm anything. 

And everything that you mentioned sounds normal. A pregnant woman may experience more discharge and wetness, which may explain why you are more prone to yeast infections while pregnant. And hips pains are normal, as your hips widen to make room to push out baby. Belly pains and cramping is normal, but if it gets really bad (to the point of not being able to walk, or doubling over in pain) you'll want to make a call to your doctor. 

ahleesha14
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM

That helps out a lot. I drink coffee every morning but I do not have that much. The pain that i feel is very small and I barely notice it is there. I know the pains of what a miscarriage feels like and it is nowhere near there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured