Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone have/had gestational diabetes?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 8 Replies
Did you have any symptoms? Did you feel weird/off or anything like that?

The most wonderful thing I decided to do... was to share my life and heart with you.<3

baby
 BabyFruit Ticker

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I only felt bad when my sugar dropped.  I hit a 48 once.  Midwife felt I had some type of reactive thing instead of flat GD. 

That was only after I was diagnosed and had to start watching my meals.  

Of course, I went "off" diet quite often starting at around 38 weeks...thinking that I only had 2 weeks to go.  It turned out I had a little over 4 weeks to go. 

DD was born at 8lbs 5oz -- not bad for 2 weeks late with GD. 

momma_gig
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Nope. But I was "borderline". My sugar was never high enough to be concerning, but I guess it was high enough to label me as having GD and high enough to effect my son (he was big and had jaundice-- which my daughter didn't). The only symptom I had that they tried to pin on the GD was that I would get extremely pissy when hungry. Umm... I'm like that not pregnant LMAO!

ahawkins
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM
How often did you go off your diet? Were your #s high?

Quoting anxiousschk:

I only felt bad when my sugar dropped.  I hit a 48 once.  Midwife felt I had some type of reactive thing instead of flat GD. 

Of course, I went "off" diet quite often starting at around 38 weeks...thinking that I only had 2 weeks to go.  It turned out I had a little over 4 weeks to go. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I had it with my second. No symptoms until 30ish weeks, when I developed a maternal tachycardia that would amplify the weak/woozy feeling of low/high blood sugar.

kacfl816
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I had it with my first pregnancy and I tried hard but slipped with my diet. He was born 2 weeks early and weighed 7.15. I also gainrled 36 pounds.This one I was tested very early and am trying so hard to keep my sugar on track. I have only gained 5 pounds so far and I am 26 weeks. Its really hard cause I want soda, cakes, and candy.
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

At the end I didn't test like I was supposed to.  

I still did morning checks as they were mostly concerned with the morning number and my fasting was always good.   (70's to low 80's)

I did limit "real" sodas.  Until the last two weeks (40-42) I also tried to be really active for the hour after eating.  

I had some high numbers when I tested correctly, but not often and always when I ate "bad."  Personally, I was able to have a high protein meal (grilled chicken with some carbs) and as long as I moved around (usually cleaning or playing Just dance 4) for an hour, I could get away with some form of dessert (usually a milkshake).  

At the end, I ate a "good" breakfast and then usually said "meh" for the rest of the day.  I kept thinking "eh, I have to have this baby soon, what's a day goign to hurt?"  

I only gained 31 pounds the entire time, maybe 32.  

Quoting ahawkins:

How often did you go off your diet? Were your #s high?

Quoting anxiousschk:

squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I was boarderline. My ob said I had gd, but when I went to an endo, they found that the lab had ran my numbers wrong. They were concerned with my morning fasting numbers bc they would be a little "high". Like they were off by 3-5 points. The only way to control my heartburn was with milk or pickles (drank milk first, if that didn't calm it down, pickles did) and I had heartburn at night. I would feel lightheaded after eating, even after they put me on the diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenb87
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM
I take insulin 5 times a day and my numbers aren't ever really high no matter what I eat. Tonight I had pasta at 7 and icecream at 830 and at 945 my number was 130. My Dr is fairly satisfied right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)