Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Progesterone help

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 8 Replies
I had a miscarriage last yr. i was only 4-5 weeks along. I got pregnant the very next month. I switched drs in between that time to one closer to my town. She doesnt see patients til 8 weeks. They realized after my bloodwork came back that my progesterone was low and put me on 200mg progesterone suppository each night. I have taken them until this past tuesday. Im 17 weeka now and the dr said i could stop taking them. I am terrified! Its my security blanket. I should trust my dr, i know. I have had 3 ultrasounds and baby and placenta look great but she didnt check my levels or plans on it. Since im only 17 weeks i dont feel the baby move quite often and this just adds to my fears. I am so scared at my next appt there wont be a heartbeat. Any advice?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
trista4
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I know its easier said then done but try not to stress....that desktop help any pregnant mama. I would tell the Doctor your fear and ask for a while if blood can be drawn for just piece of mind. My doctors office is great about stuff like this so maybe yours will be as well. Try and relax as much as you can Hun it will only help your pregnancy more :-) best wishes
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I'm sorry. I understand the worry. I'm 16 weeks and havent felt anything but pressure and a lump where my baby is at so I'm being a worry wart too. Hang in there! At this point, everything will more than likely be okay!

jbjb1024
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I was in progesterone when I was pregnant. I stopped taking it at the second trimester. I can't remember if the checked my bid levels before taking me off.

You could have an anterior placenta. Which is no big deal. It just means that your placenta is between the baby and your belly making it hard to feel baby moving. I delivered at 39 weeks, even then she would be moving and I wouldn't feel it. At your next appointment ask about the placement of your placenta

Try not to worry, I know it's hard.
SSMama0209
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I've gone through that twice now. Found out that the c-section with my DD, and my miscarriage between my DD and DS could have been prevented if the other 2 docs would have checked my levels. My midwife checked them with my DS and this pregnancy. I stopped taking the progesterone at 13 weeks. My DS is now 3, and I am 31 weeks and 1 day right now. Everything is looking great. I understand the fear completely, but now you'be got to try to look past the fear and picture your beautiful baby. From what I was told, they don't check your levels anymore past the 1st trimester because those levels have made it to a safe point and the placenta has taken over. You should be fine :) Best wishes to you.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

LuvNmyGrl
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
You can usually stop taking progesterone at 10 wks. My dr explained ( I'm on progesterone too by the way lol) that at some point you have to come off it and your body must take over. If there us a problem that the progesterone is covering up you may lose the pregnancy but that will happen no matter if you stop at 10 or 30. You are just prolonging the inevitable but as long as everything looks great there will be no problem coming off it. She wants me off at 10 weeks but my prescription is good until 16 weeks so I'm going to put it off and slowly wean myself
mwangi1989
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I started taking progesterone at 10 weeks after having a heavy bleed and took it for a few weeks even into my 2nd trimester. I experieced a lot of lower abdominal pain in the beginning of my 2nd trimester and was just told to continue with the progesterone. I stopped taking them somewhere around 20weeks but was told to take whenever I get any pains so I still do whenever I have pain but a lower dosage and as you at some point I considered them as my security blanket.
mama2gg
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
yesyou can stop taking it nowafter taking it with all my pregnancies I've always stopped at 12 weeks when I haven't taken it I've had losses 11 of them your fine to stop taking it the placenta took over weeks ago
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BosGirl0906
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I had two m/c last year and it turned out my progesterone was low. I took progesterone suppositories during this pregnancy. My dr told me at my 12 wk appt that I could stop taking them. I took them for another week. I was so scared to stop! I ordered a fetal Doppler for home so I could listen to the heartbeat. It was so so worth it. They aren't super expensive. You should look into it to help ease your mind. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN